M-AUDIO Audiophile USB: $99 - good deal?
Sep 20, 2005 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

saab

500+ Head-Fier
I have a chance to get one of these from Firehouse Music in Grand Rapids for $99 by doing a pricematch. Is this a good deal, or would my money be better spent elsewhere?

I have seen varying reports on this little bugger and can't make up my mind.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks
-John

Sep 20, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 8
Problem is I would like to be able to use it with my laptop as well, and I don't want to try and cram a pci card into it.
icon10.gif

-John

[size=xx-small]ps. I am kidding, I know a laptop can not fit a pci card.[/size]

Sep 20, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 8
I like mine. It is true that the PCI EMU cards can spit out better loopback figures by nearly 10db for 24 bit audio. However you shouldn't forget the vast majority of source material is still 16-bit especially for computer audio. And the ability to just hook it up to a laptop is nice in that laptops are generally quieter than desktops by pretty much a good 10db or more.

If there wasn't annoying channel mismatch by the small alps pot or whatever pots they use (or you don't really mind), it would be an even better deal in being able to conveniently use it direct to speaker amp or even headphone out.

Either way is really a great deal, if you had a quiet media PC the EMU is a fine choice, if you have a quiet laptop the USB or firewire audiophiles are good. Not sure if it matters but the 404 also doesn't contain two clock oscillators so it does SRC for the 44khz multiple frequencies. I believe the Audiophiles *do* contain both clock oscillators, correct me if wrong. Whenever I get around to building the ideal media PC (perhaps waiting a good while for future power efficient Intels), I'd probably get a higher end internal, but its always nice to have a good usb audio interface.

Sep 21, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 8
The Audiophile USB is only useful IMO, if you have a laptop as your main PC (and can't afford a better external unit) or if you want a cheap good transport for an external DAC (since it has an external PSU, jitter is lower from a PCI card). The 0404 sounds a good deal better than it from an analogue output standpoint and is cheaper.

Sep 21, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 8
It's a very good deal and can be upgraded with a Stancor PS. It's also more multi-OS compatible than EMUs.

Sep 21, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #8 of 8
Using my laptop vs my desktop to watch movies or listen to music, etc there is an obvious difference in overall sound quality when you take into account ambient noise (i.e. speakers). The difference between -100db noise floor and -110db noise floor for 24 bit audio doesn't come into play if you have an extra 10-15 db ambient noise. Which means if you go for a quality PCI card, you best make sure the PC is up to par in being dead (or at least almost) silent. Otherwise it'd be like going to a theater with absolutely awesome acoustics only to sit next to some jerk who answers his cell phone.

I like the external power supply. It allows you flexibility to isolate power supply or ground noise. Note however that by virtue of being an external USB device with external PSU, it does not automatically imply isolation from the PC's noise (as some usb audio marketing like to claim) because the ground can still be carried through USB cable via the power pins. I see posts complaining about usb audio 'noises' following computer activity that I am betting is because of ground issues. And I don't doubt that if ground noise is carried through the co-axial digital output, the result is suboptimal, but the short and skinny of it is that it depends on your completed setup. You can easily modify cheap usb cable and perform a 'ground lift' that way if you need to. With an internal card you can be more at mercy to the computers grounding and psu design (and a simple loopback test won't show anything there since there is only one ground reference in that test as opposed to the possibility of more in a completed setup). Optical to DAC also avoids this. Course I suppose you can always use cheater plugs all around, but I'd feel better ground lifting a usb cable to a cheap USB audiophile vs the mains power plug to an expensive DAC or amp.

I think the USB audiophile is probably the cheapest one that gets usb audio (mostly) right. It also doesn't crack and pop like cheaper solutions can (since you can adjust latency), and has enough fidelity to at least get 16-bit done right (which sadly even in this day and age can still be rare), and finally digital outputs when you want to go further. Properly setup with no ground issues, I can amplify the output to max on pretty much any amp I've owned(an 11 gain M3 or Grace901 being some of the loudest) with sensitive headphones without having *any* audible noise floor. I've measured 100+ in S/N and dynamic range going through the gilmore lite which is plenty good for me and far better than a *lot* of consumer audio priced at $99. When you pine for something better, it can easily be relegated to a secondary system or use at work or whatever since usb ports aren't hard to come by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back