M-Audio Audiophile FireWire VS. Emu 0404 USB
Jun 24, 2007 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MrSlacker

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been looking at both of these DACs for a couple of days now. I need a USB or firewire DAC to use with my computer. These two have sparked my interest because they fit under my budget $200 and seem like very good units. I like the M-Audio more because it has two RCA outputs opposing to only 1/8th on the Emu. I will be using it to drive a t-amp and my headphone amp so M-Audio has the advantage with its two outputs. Also it is cheaper than the Emu.
If you guys had to pick one, what would it be? Or any other recommendations for under $200.

Thanks.

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 17
i had the same lingering thoughts on this issue. Any takers?

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 17
I can only recommend the M-Audio as a great S/PDIF transport, but it's DAC capabilities are horrible. It also has no Vista support.

I'm not sure what the E-MU driver situation is, but they certainly have better reputations as DAC makers. I've never heard their USB variants, but I'm going to assume they use the same components as the PCI versions, which do sound good.

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can only recommend the M-Audio as a great S/PDIF transport, but it's DAC capabilities are horrible.

What exactly about it is horrible?

Jun 24, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 17
The M-Audio FW Audiophile and the E-MU 0404 both use AKM DACs.

The M-Audio has the better software, IMHO. It has 6 channels of 2496 DAC, two stereo outputs and a stereo headphone jack.

Personally I prefer the AKM DACs over the Crystal DACs.

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
........I like the M-Audio more because it has two RCA outputs opposing to only 1/8th on the Emu. I will be using it to drive a t-amp and my headphone amp so M-Audio has the advantage with its two outputs.

There are two sets of outputs on the 0404 USB--the 1/8" mini output plus the 1/4" TRS jacks that can be used with TS plugs for consumer-level unbalanced output or TRS plugs for pro-level balanced output. All you need are some inexpensive male TS-to-female RCA adapters and you're all set, or make up a pair of interconnects with 1/4" TS plugs on one end and RCA's on the other.

LeChuck....the 0404 USB is an entirely different animal than the 0404 PCI card; different DAC entirely, includes mic preamps, etc. etc. It has an internal headamp, just like the M-Audio. Apparently E-MU's model numbering system only pertains to the number of inputs/outputs available, and doesn't imply that the only difference is the PCI vs. USB interface.

When it come to drivers, I have had no problems at all with the 0404 USB drivers running on XPSP2 (desktop) or Media Center XPSP2 (notebook). Foobar 0.8.3 works just fine using ASIO. If I quit Foobar, the 0404 USB works as the default device for other players via the WDM driver and if I turn off the 0404 USB, either machine reverts back to its onboard sound--all seamlessly with no issues.

OTOH, some people just have better luck with Firewire devices with their particular hardware setups.

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 17
About the Vista driver issue for the M-Audio Firewire Audiophile:

Works perfectly on my Vista/XP dual-boot machine despite having no official Vista support currently. Just install the driver software using XP compatible mode. The control panel loads at startup with no problems, just like in XP.

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 17
I am not worried about driver support. I am not planning to switching to Vista for a while....

I am wondering about the sound quality of these two DACs.

Jun 24, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 17
Hi, I've had some questions of these two units as well.

Anyone have experience with the headphone output of the M-Audio and what its rated power is? The 0404 USB is 20mW.

Here are the specs for the M-Audio Firewire Audiophile, and it doesnt give much info on the headphone amp capabilties
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...ile-focus.html

Additionally, does anyone have any decent information on the firewire vs USB 2.0 comparison? I have seen several users of the 0404 USB complain of high CPU utilisation and hearing "clicks and pops".
Firewire protocol of course does not require any CPU processing, but how does it perform as an audio interface compared to USB 2.0?

Thanks in advance

Jun 25, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 17
bumpy

Jun 26, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 17
I didn't like the audiophile firewire when i tried it a while back. It wasn't really better than the PCI version which I don't really like it sound. It was just lackluster.

I've never heard the emu 0404 usb.

You're still searching for a source man?
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't like the audiophile firewire when i tried it a while back. It wasn't really better than the PCI version which I don't really like it sound. It was just lackluster.

I've never heard the emu 0404 usb.

You're still searching for a source man?
biggrin.gif

yeah! i have no idea what to get...
frown.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 17
Why don't you try something from B&H and see if you like it? If not, return it.

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #14 of 17
I guess I could get Emu 0404 from some store and return it... but I would have to compare it to other DACs.

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can only recommend the M-Audio as a great S/PDIF transport, but it's DAC capabilities are horrible. It also has no Vista support.

Have you compared the M-audio firewire to any other S/PDIF transports?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back