M Audio Audiophile 192 vs M Audio revolution 7.1
Apr 14, 2006 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

steinba

100+ Head-Fier
So... I'm finally realizing that the Audiophile 192 doesn't do it for me. The OSS linux driver just doesn't cut it. I want a card that works with Linux straight out of the box.

The best alternative I've found seems to be the M Audio Revolution 7.1, which has the same chipset, different opamps (but same DAC?) and no balanced outputs. (I don't use them balanced anyway, so no problem there.)

My only gripe is that it's a multichannel card. Will it work/sound as good in two channels as a similar stereo card? (The Audiophile 192?)

...Or would it be just as well to "downgrade" to an Audiophile 2496?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 3
The Revo 7.1 was the first and also is the worst-sounding of the Envy24HT cards, stock. The following cards should all be better and are supported in ALSA (as in CVS):
Audiotrak ProDigy 7.1 (7.1LT apparently also supported now)
Terratec Aureon Sky / Space (known to work fine)
Revolution 5.1 ("basic support" included now)
In addition to the AP2496, some other Delta cards are also supported, and a number of Echo Audio cards (e.g. MIA-Midi) also work.
Incomplete support for the ESI Juli@ (output only) is also present, which would be closest to the AP192 out of the bunch, quality wise.

Apr 14, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by steinba
So... I'm finally realizing that the Audiophile 192 doesn't do it for me. The OSS linux driver just doesn't cut it. I want a card that works with Linux straight out of the box.

This might be a lot to ask, but do you think you could give a brief explanation of how you went about installing the OSS driver and got it working with the AP192? I experimented with this awhile back, with no success, although I'm no veteran of Linux by any means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back