M-Audio Audio Interface?
May 11, 2006 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Borky

Head-Fier
I plan on getting an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile to get into some production work. I have two questions regarding its use:

1. Would it give me adequate sound quality for when I'm not doing production stuff. Like say I want to plug in my speakers/headphones for general listening, would that be good enough for sq?

2. Should I keep my Chaintech AV710 in the computer, or will it conflict with the m-audio interface? Will the Chaintech be giving me better sound? Right now I'm using high sample rate mode at 96khz and foobar with KS, would I not be able to use this with the M-audio card?

Also, if there is a better option for my needs around the same price point, can someone suggest it?
Headphones are A900s, currently unamped, but planning to get a PAV2 soon.

May 14, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 7
Why are you leaning to the firewire over the Audiophile USB (just wondering)?

I used the Audiophile USB for over a year & loved it...but used it exclusively as a soundcard replacement for headphone audio listening (no pro/studio work).

I also noticed M-Audio has an all new driver for the Audiophile USB...I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing it might be more ASIO friendly than before (it used to be quite a pain).

If the firewire is using the same codec under the hood as the Audiophile USB (I'm guessing it is?), I think you're in business...should do ya right.

Peace,

Graz

May 14, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 7
The firewire is faster and I've heard better things about it for recording, etc.

I think they're essentially the same as far as audio goes. My main question is, should I get rid of my Chaintech card and use just this, or keep it and use the Audiophile as a DAC when listening to music?

May 14, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

My main question is, should I get rid of my Chaintech card and use just this, or keep it and use the Audiophile as a DAC when listening to music?

I'm not 100% getting this part of your question. But if you wanna use the M-Audio exclusively as your sound card solution & get rid of the Chaintech altogether, I think you can.

Peace,

Graz

May 14, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borky
I think they're essentially the same as far as audio goes. My main question is, should I get rid of my Chaintech card and use just this, or keep it and use the Audiophile as a DAC when listening to music?

I'm running both cards in XP with no problems (Foobar>>> Audiophile - ASIO or AV-710 - KS >>>Millet). I don't use either headphone out directly. If you would like I can try them both ampless.

Early indications, with the Millet, are: I like the AV-710 out a bit better. I should mention I have Blackgates in the output of the 710. Don't take my word for it. If I understand correctly you will have them concurrently, so why not try it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back