M-Audio 192 digital coaxial input/output question
Oct 17, 2005 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jeff.h

100+ Head-Fier
Stanton makes some turntables with Digital Coaxial (S/PDIF) outputs. They are the only company that does I think. They are amazing for archiving with a digital connection, the quality is pristine and it's super easy with them. I have the correct cables hooked up here, the digital coaxial runs into the M-Audio's digital coaxial input. Then I have a quarter inch to standard RCA cable, connected from the card's Main Outs going into the back of my sony mini cd-unit (which I'm using for my headphones on the computer).

I just need to know how to get the M-Audio to route the digital coaxial input's signal to the card's Main Out channel. That's all it is I think, sound is coming in from the digital coaxial just fine (I can see the bars moving in the S/PDIF channel) but I can's hear anything. All I want to do is find out how I can set this card to send the signal coming in from the digital coaxial to the main out's so I can listen on my headphones, I haven't tried recording the signal yet then listening to it, but I'd rather get this to work properly. Maybe I need a program to do this then? I was hoping it would be as easier than that, before I just used RCA and the sound came right through the card just fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 11
I don't have M-Audio 192, but in trying to make sense of what you are saying, it appears you are mixing an analog source (turntable) with a digfital input (the coax digital on the M-audio). That just ain't gonna work.

You refer to the "digital coaxial cable running from the back of my Stanton turntable". I don't know of any turntable that has a digital output.

Just because cables are physically the same (both phono cables and coax digital have RCA plugs) doesn't mean that the data or signals going through them are the same.

If the M-Audio card has analog inputs, that is where you need to route the phono output to.

<edit> Somehow I just knew I was going to get burned on this one
biggrin.gif
Just goes to show that there is something new to learn every day. So that Stanton TT has SPDIF digital out - fascinating. I imagine it is wonderful for monitoring purposes. Do you have a model # - I'd sure like to learn more - I take it there is a ADC in there somewhere. Anyhow, thanks for clearing that up, and my apologies if my reply seemed in any way insulting. </edit>

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 11
I think I understand what you are asking. Open the M Audio control panel and click the mixer tab. On the SPDIF In channel, you should find output buttons, namely 1/2 3/4 spd. Click the channel you want to send the input to.

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 11
I've tried everything you can do in the control panel and all the tabs, expansions, etc..
I think I have to download some software or something, I checked M-Audio's site but they just have drivers.
I'll have to phone the store tommorow. I wish someone here owned an Audiophile 192 card and they could tell me what to do.

Oct 18, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 11
I have the 24/96, and at certain times I have to change the patchbay/router from waveout/spdif out to monitor mixer to hear sound. If you have not tried this you might.

Noel

Oct 18, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 11
Monitor Mixout is 'greyed' out, non-selectable
frown.gif

There must be some expansion or something to download so I can try enabling more of the options. The only selectable ones are in H/W Out S/PDIF
WavOUT S/PDIF
S/PDIF In
S/PDIF In (L/R Rev.)
H/W In 1/2

Everything else in the Patchbay/Router tab is unselectable. This is really annoying, I've tried everything and there is no reason this shouldn't go. I know this isn't the place to be asking either but I don't know where to go.

Oct 20, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 11
Jeff - hi there and coincidentally I have just been messing about connecting the digital out of my new X-Fi Extreme Music to the S/PDIF in of my Audiophile192.

Anyway after connecting the relevant cable I clicked 'S/PDIF In' button in the 'H/W OUt S/PDIF' section of the Audiophile192 PatchBay / Router tab - I then saw the 'H/W In S/PDIF' coloured metres moving up and down in the Monitor Mixer, but no sound emerged from my amp.

Tried lots of different things, then eventually pushed the 'WavOut S/PDIF' (volume control to the right of 'WavOut 1/2') slider up, bingo (and obviously make sure none of the 'mute' buttons under the various volume sliders are lit up).

If that doesn't work you could also try using the 'Mon Out' cable connectors on the Audiphile192's breakout block instead of 'Main Out' ones.

Finally the 'Master Volume' on all Audiophile192's is greyed out by default, I have no idea why. Good luck in any case, let me know how you get on.

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 11
Yeah I phoned M-Audio a couple days ago, they were closed but the guy was cool and he helped me out anyways.
I told him the problem and before I even finished he told me to turn the S/PDIF volume slider all the way to the top. Then to switch my RCA's from the Main Outputs to the Mon (Monitor) Outputs of the card. I did and boom, sound came through. He said something about it busting through, seemed kinda strange. The sound only came when the slider was up at max, wasn't distorted or anything and I just turned it down after I did this. Sounds GREAT now, playing vinyls and listening through the digital coaxial and it sounds crystal clear. This card is a huge improvement over the audigy I had before as well, definently glad I bought this
cool.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #11 of 11
Jeff, great to hear you got it going. It's amazing we can sit there and tweak a system for a couple of days only to find out it's a volume slider or something. Enjoy!

Noel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back