M^3 vs GS-1: which outputs more power?
Jan 24, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #16 of 21
Well yeah, I'll never know. All I can say is that its transistors are smaller and not heatsinked which makes me wary, and mathematically they cannot drive as much current, but who knows, maybe the design is better in other ways. Maybe Mr. AMB knows which is better and why. I really don't know why there's a TL071ACP JFET op-amp on the board. It's an interesting design.

I'd consider the GS-1 a pretty sweet deal if they at least made some gesture like recapping it with something other than Panasonics to differentiate it further from the Lite.

At this point, if I had to do it over again, I'd be curious how a grander tube amp like the WA2 would do, I know they are very good.

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shahrose, if you flip your M3 to get a GS-1, i'll hang myself.

heh, i'm sticking with the M^3 + Sigma11. i like it's sound signature and it's specs are excellent, especially for it's price range. next thing to be upgraded will likely be my soundcard (to Essence STX for it's superior DAC).

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #18 of 21
I like the GS1 design a lot (and for that matter, Glite and their DIY equivalent, the dynalo). Its topology is classic, all-discrete fully-complementary. That said, the output stage is ultimately its main limitation, and is why Kevin Gilmore scaled it up with bigger transistors, and doubled its supply voltage to become the dynahi. Ironically, the dynalo design was originally aimed at low impedance headphones but it actually performs much better with high impedance loads.

The opamp in the dynalo and dynahi are used for DC servo. It has no effect in the audio band.

Jan 25, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #20 of 21
Thanks for the info AMB, can't say absolutely which one is better, we'll all have our preferences and each design is what it is...good job designing the M3 though, it brings lots of people good sound.

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the GS1 design a lot (and for that matter, Glite and their DIY equivalent, the dynalo). Its topology is classic, all-discrete fully-complementary. That said, the output stage is ultimately its main limitation, and is why Kevin Gilmore scaled it up with bigger transistors, and doubled its supply voltage to become the dynahi. Ironically, the dynalo design was originally aimed at low impedance headphones but it actually performs much better with high impedance loads.

The opamp in the dynalo and dynahi are used for DC servo. It has no effect in the audio band.

I never figured out why I preferred senns over grados for the GS-1 and GLite. Seems I'm not the only one
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back