M^3 soldering question
Mar 1, 2008 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stryker

500+ Head-Fier
I an a noob. Let's get that out right now.

I am noticing something with the M^3 pcb that I did not when desoldering and resoldering some parts on my Sony player. I am noticing that I get a little rising of the green resist around the pads on the M^3 board when I am soldering parts to it (so far just resistors).

I did not see such a thing with the Sony. Is my iron too hot and the copper traces are heating up too much? I use a Weller with a small conical tip, not the stock tip. I have crappy technique for sure but it's scaring me.
frown.gif

I have tried the search function but way too many threads with soldering tips for this specific issue. My thanks in advance.

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm no soldering expert, but that doesn't sound good. I've never seen anything 'lift' on my boards even when desoldering using braid.

How hot is your iron?

How long are you leaving your iron on the pads when soldering the components?

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 4
Trying to go with 5 seconds or less. Sometimes it's a second longer but only on one or two times. I just got done doing several 3-second joints as I am getting better.

This sounds soooo obvious, but I am wondering if the rosin is clear when it cools and is causing an optical illusion to me. I'm approaching 40, and my depth perception on shiny surfaces is not what it used to be. It has to be the rosin flux and it's clear. I'm assuming it would be more opaque or have *some* kind of color but this would make sense.

Thanks, but I'm going with the clear flux residue and poor vision theory. Aything else just doesn't seem logical.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back