LZ Big Dipper impressions and discussions thread
Nov 15, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #151 of 173
Those who have it, how would you rate the big dipper w/ all switches OFF? If there's one thing I don't like about my A4 is fiddling with all the tuning. All reviews seem to prefer a tuning that uses one or more switches. Would you still consider this to compete alongside the well known IEMS in this price range ($500+)? Thanks!

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #152 of 173
Those who have it, how would you rate the big dipper w/ all switches OFF? If there's one thing I don't like about my A4 is fiddling with all the tuning. All reviews seem to prefer a tuning that uses one or more switches. Would you still consider this to compete alongside the well known IEMS in this price range ($500+)? Thanks!

At all switches off, i find it the same with my very old Phonaks Audeo PFE 232, which in turn is IMHO better than the Westone W40.

As for the switches, I am still experimenting with bass on rest off, and bass on mids on trebs off.

The good thing about all 3 switches is the ability to customize to my liking.

So far I marginally prefer only the bass on, compared to bass and mids on

I use Tidal, Cozoy dac, "Surrender" by Walk the Moon.

The switch settings will probably differ based on your source and music you listen to.

Off topic, im selling my Phonaks PFE 232 for $250 bucks free shipping in the US if anyone is interested
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253261412104?ul_noapp=true

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #156 of 173
Alright waited for 4-5 weeks and finally got mine. Mine is two-tunings with bass and mid, cost me $740 plus $30 for the logo. So far i am workng with the fitting and fall into dilemma :
1) small tips to allow the shell flush into my ears. But the shells were too big to my ears and I wont get a good seal.

2) using jvc standard tips due to larger bore- the sony hybrids tips (not foamed) are too small and creates high pressure inside my ears.

3) will try using comply tips t400 but the nozzle is darn too big so i thought t500 would solve it.

Right now my ears are sore - which has been a month since the weather got cold here. A week ago I went to primary care and an ear doctor checked and they were fine. So I couldnt give an impression about its sound quality. So far they are good! I prefer the switch bass on and mids off - i tend to turn it back on because it gives fuller and fleshed detail - not as forward nor bloated like the dreaded UM30pro.

Below are the pic~ enjoy.
20171222_151700.jpg 20171222_151739.jpg 20171222_152014.jpg 20171222_152036.jpg 20171222_155012.jpg 20171222_155121.jpg 20171222_154013.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #157 of 173
Alright waited for 4-5 weeks and finally got mine. Mine is two-tunings with bass and mid, cost me $740 plus $30 for the logo. So far i am workng with the fitting and fall into dilemma :
1) small tips to allow the shell flush into my ears. But the shells were too big to my ears and I wont get a good seal.

2) using jvc standard tips due to larger bore- the sony hybrids tips (not foamed) are too small and creates high pressure inside my ears.

3) will try using comply tips t400 but the nozzle is darn too big so i thought t500 would solve it.

Right now my ears are sore - which has been a month since the weather got cold here. A week ago I went to primary care and an ear doctor checked and they were fine. So I couldnt give an impression about its sound quality. So far they are good! I prefer the switch bass on and mids off - i tend to turn it back on because it gives fuller and fleshed detail - not as forward nor bloated like the dreaded UM30pro.

Below are the pic~ enjoy.
Congratulations ,
Very beautiful but it looks bit bigger in your ears , the logo looks nice as well ,
The logo is of your choice ,?

Dec 24, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #158 of 173
Congratulations ,
Very beautiful but it looks bit bigger in your ears , the logo looks nice as well ,
The logo is of your choice ,?
Yes i messaged penon audio to have the plate and shell color of my choice. They also accepts customized logo as well with additional charge $30. But thanks they are 2 my favorite icons from Gundam and Half Life. My ears are small and I am 5'5 feet or 165 cm. At this moment i am having ears sore :frowning2: need to abstain from listening earphones for a month or so.

Dec 24, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #159 of 173
Yes i messaged penon audio to have the plate and shell color of my choice. They also accepts customized logo as well with additional charge $30. But thanks they are 2 my favorite icons from Gundam and Half Life. My ears are small and I am 5'5 feet or 165 cm. At this moment i am having ears sore :frowning2: need to abstain from listening earphones for a month or so.

You could also try double (or even triple) flanges or SpinFit tips. All of these will make the housing sit a little bit further out so that it applies less pressure on the outer ear.

Good luck!

Sep 28, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #161 of 173
Hey there guys,I bought the lz a4 after I lost my ie80 and it is an amazing iem, now i am at a cross roads because I have literally had most of the hyped iems on headfi from, ie80,ie800, earsonics sm64, phonak pfe 232, campfire andromeda , earsonics velvet and some other iems but weirdly out of them all the LZ A4 is the one I have left, I loved the phonak pfe 232 and andromeda both amazing sound iems, pfe 232 broke and andromeda just did not fit my ears, I trying to decide between the fitear togo 334, lz big dipper and the campfire vega (has got fit), I had recently listed to the hifiman re2000 but its way out of my budget, if anyone has listened to the above iem either fitear togo 334 or vega and give a little comparison as I am not sure to buy the lz big dipper or not, I listen to mostly triphop,soul,rnb and hippop so bass and mids is really important to me and I want this to kinda be my end game iem because the LZ A4 sound brilliant

Sep 28, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #162 of 173
Hey there guys,I bought the lz a4 after I lost my ie80 and it is an amazing iem, now i am at a cross roads because I have literally had most of the hyped iems on headfi from, ie80,ie800, earsonics sm64, phonak pfe 232, campfire andromeda , earsonics velvet and some other iems but weirdly out of them all the LZ A4 is the one I have left, I loved the phonak pfe 232 and andromeda both amazing sound iems, pfe 232 broke and andromeda just did not fit my ears, I trying to decide between the fitear togo 334, lz big dipper and the campfire vega (has got fit), I had recently listed to the hifiman re2000 but its way out of my budget, if anyone has listened to the above iem either fitear togo 334 or vega and give a little comparison as I am not sure to buy the lz big dipper or not, I listen to mostly triphop,soul,rnb and hippop so bass and mids is really important to me and I want this to kinda be my end game iem because the LZ A4 sound brilliant

Hi mate.

I was at a similar crossroads. I went from K3003 to LZ A4 and used the LZ A4 for nearly 2 years exclusively. They are that good. I would use my Beyerdynamic T1's for home listening and A4's for on the go, very happy.

I was tempted by the Big Dippers and also A5's. I then saw the Fiio FH5 which seemed to offer better balance than the A5 and better detailing. I bought a pair and just "wow". They are a bit upper-mid centric, but this quickly is adapted by the brain, and then it's a wonderful listen, really incredible detail, and smooooooth sounding as well. Now I go back to the A4's and they sound crude in comparison. To put in perspectic I am using the FH5's exclusively, not even listening to the T1's for home use. They are that good.

Really this new generation of mid-priced IEM's is incredible.

I can't comment on the Big Dippers, and I'm sure they are probably on a par or perhaps better than the FH5's, but at a mighty high cost differential.

Sep 28, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #163 of 173
Mate, I actually listened to the Fiio FH5 at the local store maybe a week ago and yes your right they were good and yes it does have a upper mid centric sound for sure, my only concern will be that I will be tempted to buy the big dipper because the LZ A4 is literally the only iem I have left out of the group of iem I have mentioned and my tastes have grown over the years well I went from a die hard bass head to a treble head and then to midhead with slight bass head interests again haha and right now my LZ A4 is ticking all the right boxes, so I just thought i would post here and see what the people say about the big dipper because I am damn interested btw does a cable change for LZ A4 make a difference to the sound

Sep 28, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #164 of 173
Mate, I actually listened to the Fiio FH5 at the local store maybe a week ago and yes your right they were good and yes it does have a upper mid centric sound for sure, my only concern will be that I will be tempted to buy the big dipper because the LZ A4 is literally the only iem I have left out of the group of iem I have mentioned and my tastes have grown over the years well I went from a die hard bass head to a treble head and then to midhead with slight bass head interests again haha and right now my LZ A4 is ticking all the right boxes, so I just thought i would post here and see what the people say about the big dipper because I am damn interested btw does a cable change for LZ A4 make a difference to the sound
Aha, ok. No worries. I think Brooko is your man to discuss the BDs with viz the A4's. I had similar discussion a while ago, and yes the BDs are better all round than the A4's according to him :) - my issue with them was pricing and the switch choices, i got a bit stuck and never took it further. Then the FH's came along.... :)

Sep 28, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #165 of 173
Yea thats my issue as well about the switches I personally think I would only require 2 max or even 1 just depends how to sounds compared to iem such as andromeda, phonak pfe 232, fitears and the vega for me thats the more important part the LZ A4 really did solidify it as being the best value purchased iem for in terms of sound quality just great sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back