Lyrix, XM5, UHA-3, Pico, D1... which amp/DAC combo to get?
Jan 11, 2008 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MONVMENTVM

100+ Head-Fier
I am planning to buy an amp/DAC combo for my coming Livewires, but there are a lot of them out there, so it is really hard to choose the appropriate one.

At first I planned to take the iBasso D1, because I didn't know much about others available. I read that its sound should be fine and even better with different opamps. After awhile I came across the Headphonia Lyrix USB Pro (total), which should sound great with stock opamps too. It's available in Europe so this is another pro here and the price is nice too.

Now the Pico is quite expensive but given its size and its sounds (at least what people are talking here
smily_headphones1.gif
) it might be an option too. The UHA-3 is called the poor mans Pico, though I don't know much about it (in fact I don't know much about the Pico either), so this would also be an option.

Today I saw the XM5 and this one seems quite impressive too. It's a tad more expensive than the Lyrix USB Pro total but it also has some more features (75ohm output would be nice for the Livewires I believe, as they are very sensitive) and has as a bonus this nice Utralink cable.

One important thing is that I also plan to use this combo at home as a DAC preamplifier for a tube amp. As I have the UHA-3 hp open I know that it is possible as it says:
"The UHA-3 can also be used as a USB DAC and low-noise preamplifier for a home stereo system. It is capable of driving a maximum output of 13 dBu into a high-impedance load such as the line-level input on a stereo receiver."

Is correct that I can do this with any of these amp/dac combos?

It's really hard to decide on which one to get. Right now my favourite would be still the Lyrix as it is from Europe, though the UHA-3 has a really competitive price. Then the sound of the pico, the features of the XM5... hum
confused.gif

Could someone give me some advice, please?

Thanks,

MONVMENETVM

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 13
Appears no one has experience with multiples of these AMP/DAC devices to make any suggestions yet.

ASR (I think that was the individual) said a review and comparison of some of them was in the works.

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 13
Thats typically head-fi. I started to read about the pico and damn... I want it now.

Hum... but basically I am still not sure right now. Should I get the Lyrix/XM5 and a Darkvoice 336i/ LD MK IV or simply the pico. For example a Lyrix and a Darkvoice together would cost as much as the pico. But the fact that the pico really shines as a DAC makes me prefer it over the Lyrix... though a tube amp would be a nice addition. But its too much money right now. I have to pay for the Livewires now, a pair of HD 650 would be nice too.

I should've never come to head-fi
rolleyes.gif
. I don't even have the HD 650 (or k701 or DT770) and I am already thinking about mods...

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 13
I only have iBasso D1, but I wouldn't recommend to be used with IEM.
Ibasso have a great DAC, and DIP switch for opamps rolling, which is very versatile, you can tailor any sonic characteristic you like.

Pico is a luxurious option, but it does have a very great DAC (which comparable to desktop DAC), and the amp it self is reportedly sounds awesome. It got gain setting, so you can switch it to low gain and drive your livewire from it.

If you really have that budget, go for Pico.
Otherwise stick to iBasso D1, Lyrix or UHA-3.

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 13
MONVMENTVM: I just have to chime in and commend your user name and avatar. Great band
smily_headphones1.gif

Other than that, I hope to get my Lyrix pretty soon. I can't help you in the decision process though, as I'm very new to this whole thing. But I hope you'll be happy with whatever choice you make!

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 13
Perhaps wait for the Ibasso D2 as it's going to have the same DAC chip as the Pico. I'm in the same situation as you and will be making my decision by the end of this month.

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 13
I use my D1 daily as a DAC, to drive my Darkvoice 336i and it does a great job as DAC or AMP. With the right opamps it really shines. And, it has optical, coax and USB inputs. But, it has no gain switch, and while it sounds great with the Livewires, you'll need a $10 headphone level attentuator to listen to the Livewires quietly.

If you want to spend less, and want something more portable, and don't need DAC out or optical/coax inputs, then the Lryix Pro Total USB is an excellent choice, being about $30 less than the D1. It has a gain switch that lets it work well with Livewires or power hungry HD600's. You can also roll opamps with it as well, but I never thought to try it as a pre-amp to feed a tube amp. I like it enough with the stock opamps that I never did roll the opamps inside, and instead used my extra AD797's in my SuperMacro 3. It also has the best synergy with my Grado's than my other amps (although the D1 with AD797 comes very close).

But, if you don't need a built-in DAC, the Headstage USB DAC cable does a great job with feeding just about any amp. It sounds better than it's $29 price would imply - it's the same as the DAC in the Lyrix. You could get that DAC cable AND a cheaper amp. Just get a Qables female 3.5mm to dual RCA cable, and connect the DAC cable to your tube amp, or portable amp. (the Headstage internal and external DAC sound almost identical after 200 hours of burn-in).

Another to watch for is the iBasso D2 that uses the latest available Wolfson DAC chip, and the discrete amp section for the excellent iBasso P2 (have one, love it). It will be USB only DAC, plus analog input. Since the amp section will be like the P2, here is a little info on the P2. It is totally silent like the Predator, has 3 gain levels and 3 bass levels, and could possibly provide a decent line-level signal if used as a preamp too. This P2 sounds better than a stock D1, and is very good with the Headstage USB DAC too. The P2 with USB DAC cable will be about $30 cheaper than the Lyrix with internal DAC, after shipping. I can't say the P2 or Lyrix is better, but I'd be willing to bet money, based on the reviews, that this will sound better than the Leckerton.

Jan 19, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #9 of 13
Price on the top end Lyrix (Total Pro USB) is now $189, not $219. That is a real steal !!!

Headstage USB DAC Cable was $39 when I bought it, was dropped to $29 for a while, and is back up to $39 again.

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 13
wow thank you for all that helpful input.

The iBasso D2 seems to be a really nice option, as basically i don't need more than USB input (though optical would be non-plus-ultra).

Also I just saw the price drop of the Headstage Lyrix, which makes it quite hot.

Does anyone know how much the D2 will cost? iBasso stated that it is built much easier than the D1, so can we expect it to be cheaper? About 200$ would pe really nice.

In the FS forum there is a Corda Move, which wouldn't be bad either I think ^^.

This Headstage USB DAC cable is also a nice suggestion. Basically I thought about buying an amp/dac combo because I could use it as a desktop sys combined with a tube amp and when I am on the go I could simply take it with me and voila... But now I am not sure if my Livewires would benefit that much from an amp (source is an Meizu M6). What do you think? Are they much better if amped or will the Meizu make it alone?
From what I've heard they are really sensitive so I think that they wouldn't benefit too much from an amp.

So I could get this USB cable, buy an Darkvoice 336i, 332, an LD MKIV or one of these Bada PH-12 for home use.
Btw. Grado SR60 will come soon (probably before my Livewires), though they will be used only at home for the more "in your face" type of music.

So right now I would go for either the Lyrix, D2 (if it will be in the same price range than the Lyrix) or just for the DAC cable if the Livewires would not benefit much from an amp.

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #11 of 13
The USB cable puts out an analog line-out signal, to be plugged into a headphone amp - you don't run your headphones directly from it.

Livewires benefit from an amp just like any other headphone, especially if you to use a cleaner sounding line out from your MP3 player instead of headphone out. Headphone out typically colors the sound in some way or another, not always, but very often.

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #12 of 13
Yeah I know whats that DAC cable for
smily_headphones1.gif
. I just said that if the Livewires don't benefit that much from an amp, I wouldn't need an amp/dac combo but get this USB DAC cable to feed a tube amp for home use.

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I know whats that DAC cable for
smily_headphones1.gif
. I just said that if the Livewires don't benefit that much from an amp, I wouldn't need an amp/dac combo but get this USB DAC cable to feed a tube amp for home use.

The extra statement you added (I made bold) makes that a lot more clear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back