Lyr 3 phono module noise
Apr 7, 2018 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eagerears

New Head-Fier
I recently got the new Schiit Lyr 3 with the phono module. It sound great, though the noise floor when switched to phono seems sort of high. It’s definitely the module, when I switch to the line in it’s pretty much dead silent. It’s also interesting that when I unplug the turntable, the noise actually gets much louder. This is all white noise btw, not hum (though there’s a little hum, but I think that’s a separate issue).

I’m wondering if this is caused by the fact that the module is balanced, but the amp is not. From what I understand, there is no summing, it just uses only one side of the module. In a balanced amp, the signal eventually gets summed, which cuts down on the noise. So by that logic, the noise in each channel could be higher, since it’ll be cut (by half?) in the end. Only using one channel leaves you with higher noise levels, though.

Does that make sense? Does anybody else have opinions on the phono module in the Lyr3?

Apr 8, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 9
I hear white noise hiss with the Mani too (mani + Magni 2. The Magni 2 has no hiss when fed with the Modi, by contrast). I don't know much about other phonostages, but I've used ones built-in to receivers and I hear that noise too. Maybe that's just how phonostages are?

I'm curious because I'm considering replacing my Magni 2/Mani stack with a Lyr 3 with phonotsage.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 9
Have you tried different cables?

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 9
No, though that thought has occurred to me. I looked at some reviews of the shielded cable Pro-Ject sells, and they're not great. So I've been holding off… do you think a shielded cable would help?
Experiment first. Keep the cable connected to the Lyr so you can hear any noise, and move the cable completely away from all of your other components and power supplies. If the noise goes away, it's probably EMI, and a better cable might shield you from that. If the noise does not go away, it might be ground loop. Are they plugged into different outlets / power strips?

If you want to try another cable, I would suggest BlueJeans cables. They don't break the bank. https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

If you think it is ground loop, get both devices plugged into the same power strip so they share the same ground. Better yet, try to get them on a strip that offers some method of filtering. I really like Tripp Lite products for this. Something like this little fellow: http://a.co/jjehJhz

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 9
Experiment first. Keep the cable connected to the Lyr so you can hear any noise, and move the cable completely away from all of your other components and power supplies. If the noise goes away, it's probably EMI, and a better cable might shield you from that. If the noise does not go away, it might be ground loop. Are they plugged into different outlets / power strips?
Interesting, I just tried that. When not connected to the turntable, the cable does pick up noise in different places and the noise is also louder than while connected. When I short the cable by holding the connectors together, it gets super quiet (unless I crank it up really high). It's also quieter when plugged into the turntable than while open. It's mostly white noise though, I only get a 60Hz hum in some places.

I tried it in a different room, on an outlet with nothing else close by, and there was virtually no difference.

If you want to try another cable, I would suggest BlueJeans cables. They don't break the bank. https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm
Great pointer, thanks! They look great and are very reasonably priced! I always appreciate that around audio… (ha! and even based in Seattle like a stone's throw from my place! cool!)

If you think it is ground loop, get both devices plugged into the same power strip so they share the same ground. Better yet, try to get them on a strip that offers some method of filtering. I really like Tripp Lite products for this. Something like this little fellow: http://a.co/jjehJhz
They're all plugged into the same outlet via a heavy-duty power strip without switch or anything else that could cause noise. I might try the filtering thing though, just to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 9
I might suggest trying another cable if you have one laying around. Otherwise I would contact Schiit support and explain the problem and what you've done to test. See what they advise.

Since the noise seems to be directly related to location and placement of the cable, I'm betting on bad cable. It could be a grounding or input issue on the phono card as well, and the cables are just acting like an antenna at this point.

I'm not sure if I would advise anything beyond that. It would be easy for me to say just go spend money and get a new cable, but there's no consequence for me... It's your money, not mine. I'm not comfortable with that.

Good luck!

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 9
I might suggest trying another cable if you have one laying around. Otherwise I would contact Schiit support and explain the problem and what you've done to test. See what they advise.
Thanks, I appreciate your level-headed advice! I just tried another cable and there's no difference. I'm sending a note to Schiit to see what they say. It's a bit long-winded since I don't know how to quantify the noise. I'd hate to send back the Lyr, I really enjoy it.

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #9 of 9
=)

Hope it works out well. RMAs do suck, but it's better than having a pile of broken Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back