Lyr 2 or LD MK3 for calming high frequencies ?
Dec 9, 2015 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hachiroku

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've been asking a lot through threads, so I hope this is okay and hopefully it helps me finally draw a conclusion. The main source of confusion would be that I've never tried Beyers so I don't know if the treble could pose a problem for me I guess. I only have a pair of X1s.

I've been trying to decide between HD650, DT990 or T90 but I'm worried I can't give them the right amp with a limited budget. I thought I'd skip the DAC for now until I can save more money for a good one (been told I need at least 400$ to make it worth it). I would like to mention it's impossible to get gear from the U.S. as duty tax can make me pay almost half of their value, which is why I have to exclude the popular Bottlehead Crack. I've also been looking for a used V200 as I've heard it can smooth out sound a lot when needed, but a new one would be way too expensive in EU. Haven't found any yet. 

Do you think Lyr 2 or LD MK3 would be able to smooth out pairs like T90s, which a lot of people claim to get too hot in the highs ? Would definitely appreciate some feedback from anyone who owns any of them or the whole combo.  I could also count some Herleen tubes in for the Lyr 2 (I've heard they're warm and they seem really affordable on ebay UK).

Any criticism/feedback is welcome as long it's well-mannered ! Thank you !

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 10
Not sure if you can get the elekit tu 882 without import tax. It's from japan sold as a true kit or with the pcb preloaded. I have it and the highs are non fatiguing. Although I don't have very bright headphones myself. 

Skylab reviewed it and used 880s and 990s on it
http://www.head-fi.org/t/434829/review-elekit-tu882-tube-headphone-amp-kit-and-assembled

I bought this amp based on his review and have been very happy with it.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 10
I have a Lyr 2 and Fostex TH-600s (pretty bright) and I didn't find that the Lyr 2 helped much at all, to be honest. I think something like the Garage1217 Project Polaris would do more for you as it is essentially a hardware EQ for high frequencies.

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #6 of 10
That's invaluable information ! I've been reading through tons of threads and I've actually seen a number of people mentioning it's not really a "tubish" sound. I emailed G1217 to check for a rough guide on pricing, shipping etc for EU residents, now I'm gonna wait and see. What I'm sure so far is that Bottlehead Crack seems to be the most recommended thing for Beyer line and HD700, but I feel it's kinda risky to build that on my own. Not to even mention if I ****up a PCB connection then I might as well trash those 300 bucks.

The japanese piece seems nice indeed, but I'm afraid it will be extremely hard to contact them, not to even mention the import tax for japan /sob.  

Btw @thejammonster have you ever tried any of the Project line ? I've heard a few people mention they're really good tube amps.
Thank you very much for the suggestions, it's like... the more I read, the more confusing it gets. I guess we're all different and it's rather to be expected :D !

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #7 of 10
That's invaluable information ! I've been reading through tons of threads and I've actually seen a number of people mentioning it's not really a "tubish" sound. I emailed G1217 to check for a rough guide on pricing, shipping etc for EU residents, now I'm gonna wait and see. What I'm sure so far is that Bottlehead Crack seems to be the most recommended thing for Beyer line and HD700, but I feel it's kinda risky to build that on my own. Not to even mention if I ****up a PCB connection then I might as well trash those 300 bucks.

The japanese piece seems nice indeed, but I'm afraid it will be extremely hard to contact them, not to even mention the import tax for japan /sob.  

Btw @thejammonster
 have you ever tried any of the Project line ? I've heard a few people mention they're really good tube amps.
Thank you very much for the suggestions, it's like... the more I read, the more confusing it gets. I guess we're all different and it's rather to be expected :D !

I don't have any experience with Garage1217, just have seen lots of positive experiences. The Project Polaris is actually solid state (I think their only SS amp) and comes in two varieties of customizable high-end roll-off. The product page has two frequency response curves showing the amount of roll-off on each option. I think that would make much more of a difference with concrete hardware EQ changes rather than the subjective "tube sound" that would probably be much more subtle.

http://www.garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_015.htm

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 10
Yeah I do think that makes for a really solid argument. Software tweaking just seems a bit of placebo. At least, some people reported some differences, while others claimed tweaking the high frequencies in EQ is probably a trade-off for lower bass being weaker or something like that. I guess it's time to look for reviews on their products, they seem really nice for that price, thanks for recommending !

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 10
Hey I just wanted to let you know that if you were scared of messing up while stuffing the pcb for the crack... you don't have to do that I've been looking at their kits for myself as fun project and I wanted to see what was inside and what I would be getting into and I found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5rWCEux_BI

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/marvelously-addictive-bottlehead-crack#2CCK7GYaSlhSrUMe.97

It's all point to point wiring which is something that some will say is a much better way of doing an OTL amp.

After seeing these I will get an amp from bottlehead next year. RAG and YGGD come first but I really want an OTL to add to my collection.

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #10 of 10
First of all, thank you very much for the feedback, find it really useful ! 
The Bottlehead piece would indeed be a good acquisition, even if I add the import tax. However, I don't have any tools (maybe beside some screwdrivers) that would aid me in assembling it. Soldering tools have hefty prices here as well, so that would be another amount to add to its price, on top of lack of soldering experience. I've seen it recommended so many times, but I think it's too difficult- if I mess up, I'd end up with no money and no amp. Assessing that risk ultimately forces me to reconsider, trying to find something at least close to it. 

I'm sure Rag+Yggd would be a sweet high-end spot, please do feel free do share your review as soon as you get it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back