Lyr 2 buzzing/ringing on High/Low Gain
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JonPro

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pre-owned Lyr 2. I for the life of me cannot get rid of this ringing/buzzing electric noise.

I have tried different tubes, I have tried running 3.5mm to stereo output from my motherboard, I have tried stereo cables from my scarlet solo acting as a DAC. Every one of these outputs is giving me the same noise out of the headphone jack. Is there anything I can do to attempt to fix this or was I sold a faulty Lyr 2?

The noise definitely stops when I remove the input cables, with both cables.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 8
It looks like you’ve covered your bases. I hate to say this, but this is one of the perils of buying used items. If it doesn’t work as expected/promised, it can turn into a he-said-she-said fiasco.

Try contacting the seller and see what they say.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 8
It looks like you’ve covered your bases. I hate to say this, but this is one of the perils of buying used items. If it doesn’t work as expected/promised, it can turn into a he-said-she-said fiasco.

Try contacting the seller and see what they say.
Thanks for the reply. I tried plugging Scarlett Solo (DAC) into my MacBook and the static completely disappears. Maybe the problem is with the source which is my PC.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 8
Let's isolate the problem. Try another computer if you have more than one at home.

EDIT: I just realized you already have solved your problem.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 8
Let's isolate the problem. Try another computer if you have more than one at home.

EDIT: I just realized you already have solved your problem.
Thanks for the reply.

Not quite solved, but definitely know its not the amp. Tried it with another PC in the house and the static does not follow to that pc either.

I'm not quite sure what is causing it, I don't know if its a ground loop issue because the laptop was tested on the same outlet as the PC. But its not actually wired, so maybe that could be the case.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 8
Whew! Crisis averted!
It looks like it must either be your PC’s outputs or possibly the USB cable.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 8
Whew! Crisis averted!
It looks like it must either be your PC’s outputs or possibly the USB cable.
I'm pretty certain its picking up some interference from somewhere on the motherboard.

I'm thinking the only way I can remove it is through a DAC with optical then stereo to the Lyr. Hopefully someone here has had some experience and can chime in about that.

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 8
http://www.schiit.com/products/eitr

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-Audio-X-USB-black-DAC/dp/B017VXPBWU/

Either one of these should do the trick.

I own a X-USB and it works great for me, but I don't have the noise issues that you do, so I can't guarantee that it will fix the problem for you, but it should.
Also, as with all TOSLink optical input/outputs, it sometimes has problems transmitting signals over 96/24. It's coax output has no problems with any signal up to 192/24.

The Eitr is much more expensive and only has a single coax output, but it is the better engineered of the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back