Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 7, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #2,296 of 5,299
Anyone been getting the blue screen of death while using their W2 with Windows 10? I've been getting a 'dp watchdog violation' with mine.

Same thing on my side, seems the culprit is the provided driver (L&P customized Comtrue driver). Problem occurs with W1 and W2. Problem completely gone using W1/W2 without the driver (I'll be happy as it if I haven't the use of the driver to listen to some DSD tracks).

May 7, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #2,297 of 5,299
Same thing on my side, seems the culprit is the provided driver (L&P customized Comtrue driver). Problem occurs with W1 and W2. Problem completely gone using W1/W2 without the driver (I'll be happy as it if I haven't the use of the driver to listen to some DSD tracks).
What do you mean using the device without the driver? Unless there was an auto driver update, I don't think I have installed one on my PC in particular?

I've been using it the last few days with Qobuz, in exclusive mode and touch wood, no crashes. It could be having the device plugged in on startup?

May 7, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #2,298 of 5,299
What do you mean using the device without the driver? Unless there was an auto driver update, I don't think I have installed one on my PC in particular?

I've been using it the last few days with Qobuz, in exclusive mode and touch wood, no crashes. It could be having the device plugged in on startup?

It means if you haven't installed the L&P provided driver, Windows 10 uses Comtrue Inc. 6.0.1.9999 driver, which doesn't allows W2 to support native DSD playback over ASIO but works like a charm for the rest. The provided driver causes freezes/BSOD (blue screen) in my case (and visibly others).

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #2,299 of 5,299
It means if you haven't installed the L&P provided driver, Windows 10 uses Comtrue Inc. 6.0.1.9999 driver, which doesn't allows W2 to support native DSD playback over ASIO but works like a charm for the rest. The provided driver causes freezes/BSOD (blue screen) in my case (and visibly others).
Gotcha. However one spanner - i was also initially getting blue screen and clearly did not install the customised driver.....

May 7, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #2,301 of 5,299
I just received my W2 but can't get Windows 7 to install the driver. Does anyone have a driver? I thought it might be W2 firmware but since it just arrived and should be the newest, I don't think it will be the issue. In addition, when using usb-c out from my phone (LG v50 thinQ) the phone is forcing me to say yes to "raising volume to levels which may damage hearing" Is that normal? Thanks!
Did you manage to get it working on your Windows 7 with the files I sent you ?
You didn't said.

May 7, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #2,302 of 5,299
Gotcha. However one spanner - i was also initially getting blue screen and clearly did not install the customised driver.....

Interesting. So with the initial factory firmware (I think you cannot update the firmware without installing the custom driver, another case besides ASIO use when driver is mandatory)... On my side I installed the L&P driver, did the FW update, then experienced BSOD, then removed the driver, system automatically switched to Comtrue Inc. 6.0.1.9999 driver, no more BSOD/freezes problems (but no ASIO nor native DSD this way). I can't tell for sure it works the same with the original factory firmware, as I never used it.

Custom comtrue windows drivers seems to be very problematic, and can cause some conflicts if you use multiple devices using Comtrue interfaces. But Comtrue USB interfaces are used in many dongles (E1DA, Hidizs S9, L&P...) because they are as I understood among the less power hungry ones. The originals Comtrue drivers seems to be modified to fit each device in term of FW update and ASIO playback, with more or less success, windows uses a generic one. Clearly the L&P driver is a mess, for now let's hope, maybe the problem made his way to L&P support ears.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #2,303 of 5,299
Ok, well my W2 came pre-installed with the latest firmware. But I think you're onto something with the driver/interface. Some really interesting information with relation to Comtrue - thanks for that!

May 7, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #2,304 of 5,299
Ok, well my W2 came pre-installed with the latest firmware. But I think you're onto something with the driver/interface. Some really interesting information with relation to Comtrue - thanks for that!

So you're on 1.0.2.1 firmware, not using the L&P provided driver, and you're still experiencing BSOD ? Can you please check in your device manager which driver windows is using ? (right clic on the device->properties->driver)

May 7, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #2,305 of 5,299
So you're on 1.0.2.1 firmware, not using the L&P provided driver, and you're still experiencing BSOD ? Can you please check in your device manager which driver windows is using ? (right clic on the device->properties->driver)
Well it comes loaded with 1.0.2.0 - which is supposed to be the same as .1.

Ok so my driver version is 10.0.19041.1 - if I click on driver details it says 'no driver files are require or have been uploaded.

May 7, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #2,307 of 5,299
What
Well it comes loaded with 1.0.2.0 - which is supposed to be the same as .1.

Ok so my driver version is 10.0.19041.1 - if I click on driver details it says 'no driver files are require or have been uploaded.

If you're looking for a temporary fix, maybe try uninstalling the driver from the devices properties and try this one : https://www.mediafire.com/file/hqu3jjofyu4lqnp/driver_comtrue.7z/file

As mentioned, you won't get ASIO support with this one.

[EDIT] I edited the link, made a zip file.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #2,308 of 5,299
May 7, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #2,309 of 5,299
It's curious that you didn't get the same windows oem driver than I did though. What Win10 build are you using ?

By the way, the driver I uploaded is an extraction of my system driver, you'll have to install it manually, no *.exe (just point the folder in the device manager), or use the pnputil tool in admin command prompt (pnputil /add-driver ctaudio.inf /install).

[EDIT] I forgot the simple way : right clic on ctaudio.inf -> install :wink:

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #2,310 of 5,299
It's curious that you didn't get the same windows oem driver than I did though. What Win10 build are you using ?

By the way, the driver I uploaded is an extraction of my system driver, you'll have to install it manually, no *.exe (just point the folder in the device manager), or use the pnputil tool in admin command prompt (pnputil /add-driver ctaudio.inf /install).

[EDIT] I forgot the simple way : right clic on ctaudio.inf -> install :wink:
I'm on 2004 - I haven't updated to the latest Oct 2020 20H2, which I probably should do, totally forgot didn't realise I'm out of date!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back