Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Jan 29, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #182 of 5,299
Firmware only supports Windows?
The firmware supports the DAC W1 - i think you want to ask another question which is if the FW Upgrade can only be done from a windows PC and the answer as far as I know is YES - you need at least W7 or above and then you need to install the Windows drivers on your PC/Notebook in order to be able to communicate with the W1 and then you can connect the W1 and do the upgrade of HIS FW.
Sorry to sound like a lecture - but it is important to be precise on those points.

Jan 29, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #183 of 5,299
The firmware supports the DAC W1 - i think you want to ask another question which is if the FW Upgrade can only be done from a windows PC and the answer as far as I know is YES - you need at least W7 or above and then you need to install the Windows drivers on your PC/Notebook in order to be able to communicate with the W1 and then you can connect the W1 and do the upgrade of HIS FW.
Sorry to sound like a lecture - but it is important to be precise on those points.
Meaning you can't install the FW from a Mac? That sucks

Jan 29, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #184 of 5,299
Meaning you can't install the FW from a Mac? That sucks
I think we can wait a bit - LP might be still working on it. Meanwhile, I will try to confirm with them.

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #185 of 5,299
To be honest, you don't need any update if you have the latest version - and the device works perfect the way it is - it never will really need any update - its not a sophisticated item like a MAC or a PC - it's in the end just a simple DAC (with maybe some EQ settings that can be loaded). So you can connect to a MAC I guess for listening - but you can't upgrade the FW from a MAC. I do absolutely dislike APPLE (sorry) as they just rip off people - they are really abusive - but that is only my view. But they are very successful. I guess LP one day will have what you look for....

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #186 of 5,299
To be honest, you don't need any update if you have the latest version - and the device works perfect the way it is - it never will really need any update - its not a sophisticated item like a MAC or a PC - it's in the end just a simple DAC (with maybe some EQ settings that can be loaded). So you can connect to a MAC I guess for listening - but you can't upgrade the FW from a MAC. I do absolutely dislike APPLE (sorry) as they just rip off people - they are really abusive - but that is only my view. But they are very successful. I guess LP one day will have what you look for....
Actually, I would not use it with any Apple device but with my LGV30. The only reason to upgrade for me would be to get additional EQ settings. However, I will wait for the W2 to come out, and that should have all the FW upgrades. Having said that, I moved from Windows to Apple over 10 years ago, as I couldn't take the slugginesh and continuous crashes any more. I guess things might have improved in the meantime, but I'm too lazy to go back...

Jan 29, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #188 of 5,299
Do you know when we can pre-order internationally the W2? The battle is between W2 and S1, unless Lotoo comes out with S2 dual DAC :).
I think after the Chinese NEW Year! So it should be in about a couple of weeks or so, mid-Feb I think.

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #189 of 5,299
LP just told me that all FW update is currently conducted using Windows. They plan to support FW update using MAC soon.

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #190 of 5,299
Do you know when we can pre-order internationally the W2? The battle is between W2 and S1, unless Lotoo comes out with S2 dual DAC :).
I think you saw that already but from this guy's measurements - the best in town would be the W2, followed by W1 and Lotoo S1.

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurementreview-of-luxuryprecision-w1/

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/粗壮的小以巴-lotoo-paw-s1测量/

I can only say that the W1 (after a week of listening to) has a crystal clear sound and absolutely no distortions in high frequencies which with some cheaper products (or the original DAC in a Smartphone) is so annoying. The level of details and clarity is second to none _ BUT i think this can still be topped by either the W2 or another NG product from Lotoo or others.

Jan 30, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #195 of 5,299
Is there benefit to using balanced beyond just output power on L&P W1/W2 where both DACs will be activated (like on BTR5 balanced), or is the only difference the output power?
I think there is more than just power - it also helps to achieve better clarity and overall SQ. This has to do with the fundamental difference between single and balanced output. It is something related to noise cancelling as I recall, but I will let the experts speak. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back