Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Jun 9, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #3,016 of 5,299
As a main phone or secondary? As a main it makes no sense for me for many reasons (e.g. no NFC, bad camera etc.), and I see no point having two phones with me all the time just to power W2 with one of these.
If I were you I d either invest into a new phone which you use also for everything else or a TOTL DAP with good battery such as DX300 as discussed, if you anyway need a new phone you could possibly save some money, I actually don't find W2 so much worse than even DX300 with the constraint of using IEMs.
If you like more forward signature I d even prefer W2...
I also suggest that you demo some gear in Moscow so you get a better feeling of what is worth...

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #3,017 of 5,299
interesting question for iPhone/Android users with induction charging capabilities,
Anyone tried using W2 connected to their phones while charging them using such an induction dock?
Guess there are mobile versions of such docks out there yet?
Not sure though about possible charging noises but worth a try as Y-camera-connection kit next to my bed was not showing any noise issues

Looking in Amazon/Aliexpress, it seems that there are only mobile battery-powered induction chargers for Apple Watch but not for iPhones, for car usage there are some, which can be an idea...
Connecting the USB-powered induction chargers to a power bank will create a too big footprint imho.

Maybe then dedicated charging cases will be a better option

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #3,018 of 5,299
interesting question for iPhone/Android users with induction charging capabilities,
Anyone tried using W2 connected to their phones while charging them using such an induction dock?
Guess there are mobile versions of such docks out there yet?
Not sure though about possible charging noises but worth a try as Y-camera-connection kit next to my bed was not showing any noise issues

Looking in Amazon/Aliexpress, it seems that there are only mobile battery-powered induction chargers for Apple Watch but not for iPhones, for car usage there are some, which can be an idea...
Connecting the USB-powered induction chargers to a power bank will create a too big footprint imho.

Maybe then dedicated charging cases will be a better option
I'm looking at something like this while considering phone upgrade options

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqxsakh

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #3,019 of 5,299
Jun 9, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #3,020 of 5,299
Interestingly, I am getting this. AM is showing 24B/96 while W2 is showing 32B/96.

image.jpg
Yes, I also raised that question a couple posts before. @FooFighter mentioned that possibly all information above 24Bit gets filled with zeros. I hope it we don’t get upsampling resulting in lower quality?

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #3,021 of 5,299
Just had a long, ~2h listening session thoroughly comparing DX300 AMP11 Mk2 with W2 and felt very surprised, to say at least: the only "wow"-like difference is vast scene depth on iBasso seriously improving listening experience on some tracks (e.g. my favourite Jonathan Johansson - Aldrig ensam) but otherwise the differences are much smaller than I expected.

Timbre is a bit more natural on DX300, being just a tad warmer (much less so than Mk1 or Shanling M6), upper mids / lower treble are less forward and more tamed, bass being a bit tighter with more prominent subbass rumble when needed (like an intro in Jhené Aiko - The Vapors) and overall sound being more solid, but again, it felt like some subtle improvements, not game changers for sure.

Much impressed by W2 relative performance being 4x cheaper than DX300, decided to stick with it for now.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #3,022 of 5,299
Interesting. I am coming from the Astell & Kern SE200 and I am missing absolutely nothing on the W2 sound quality wise. For me, there is no difference, at all. But I know that many people think there are audible differences between DACs and amps. I am none of them :)

All I need to know is the W2 measures like perfect and doesn’t distort + I love the physical volume button.

The SE200 had more output power but I don’t care because I am only using IEMs with my mobile use-case anyway…

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #3,023 of 5,299
I think there's also alot of bias involved and getting used to the signature of your TOTL DAP and within some blind test am wondering how big the real audible difference really is to ones own ears.
At the end if the frequency response and amping is good enough for your IEMs as it is with W2 and you can get a synergy with both IEM signature your favorite music genres W2 could also become pretty much an end game.
My Traillii - W2 setup is definitely an endgame setup and for me totally satisfying with all genres asking for dry sub bass and reveiling clarity and upper mid energy

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #3,024 of 5,299
Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #3,025 of 5,299
How about something like this foofighter?
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Portable-Simultaneous-Devices】External-Cellphone/dp/B08JV9GZ8X/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=wireless+battery+pack&qid=1623260000&sr=8-4

Thinking this for my mini
https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Wir...=wireless+battery+pack&qid=1623260441&sr=8-20
Also nice.
Honestly thinking about W2 having such a nice small footprint that I am wondering about too large power banks making the overall package too clunky.
I saw there are native battery cases for some standard phone models and of course also for Apple.
These would make a very nice package which is still slimmer than nowadays TOTL DAPs at least

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #3,026 of 5,299
My W2 will appear in the classifieds over the next day or so. I commend it for its spdif output, digital display and all its DSP options. But for me the THX Onyx edged it out for basic sound signature and bulletproof design.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #3,027 of 5,299
The Onyx is also a nice dongle and if you don’t require a balanced port, hardware volume buttons and a display, I am sure it will be perfectly fine!

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #3,028 of 5,299
Just use volume on device (phone)

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #3,029 of 5,299
Just use volume on device (phone)
I do this with my Hidizs S9 and don’t like it too much because the hardware buttons result in too large jumps in volume and setting the volume through software is tedious:

- Unlock iPhone
- Scroll down Control Center
- Long press on Volume Bar
- Slide Up/Down for volume change

… too many action steps. The W2 brings perfect hardware volume adjustment, imo. You can fine-adjust the volume with 1/100 steps, still change fast by holding down the button. Great!

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #3,030 of 5,299

Users who are viewing this thread

Back