Luxman P700u Headphone Amplifier Thread
Jun 26, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #406 of 418
I have an SPL Phonitor 2, P750u, Ican Pro. I use a Qutest and Focal Clear OG. I think the Luxman definitely tilts to the warmer side, but is tastefully done and not obviously colored. Bass extension and soundstage size is definitely the first thing you notice with the Luxman in comparison to the Phonitor. Next is a noticeable richness to the sound and slight midrange/body emphasis over harmonics, and a very slight softness. The balanced output has more drive and clarity, but the SE output sounds more natural and refined to me. The Phonitor has better separation and emphasis on attacks, and added openness/clarity through the midrange, and slightly more refined upper midrange. The ICan offers solid performance and value but does not really compete with the Luxman or Phonitor in absolute terms. The sound is more colored/heavy/dark? and less refined.

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #407 of 418
Jul 21, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #409 of 418
I have an SPL Phonitor 2, P750u, Ican Pro. I use a Qutest and Focal Clear OG. I think the Luxman definitely tilts to the warmer side, but is tastefully done and not obviously colored. Bass extension and soundstage size is definitely the first thing you notice with the Luxman in comparison to the Phonitor. Next is a noticeable richness to the sound and slight midrange/body emphasis over harmonics, and a very slight softness. The balanced output has more drive and clarity, but the SE output sounds more natural and refined to me. The Phonitor has better separation and emphasis on attacks, and added openness/clarity through the midrange, and slightly more refined upper midrange. The ICan offers solid performance and value but does not really compete with the Luxman or Phonitor in absolute terms. The sound is more colored/heavy/dark? and less refined.
How would you describe the difference in soundstage between Phonitor and p750u? I feel like Phonitor puts the soundstage in front of me, not all around me. Also I feel like soundstage doesn't start immediately, but there is some empty space between me and the beginning of the sound. I'm considering p750u and pass hpa-1.

What I really like in hpa-1 is that it adds some harmonics that should give it some tube flavor. Didn't find any measurements for p750u so can't confirm it this also applies to luxman. I heard those harmonics also affect to soundstage so this is also tangentially related to the stage question.

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #410 of 418
Resurrecting this thread for some advice!
I've come across a p700u at an attractive price and in excellent cosmetic condition. Been testing it out through SE output with my Empyreans and being fed by a Musical Fidelity DAC w/ tube. The two seem to have great synergy with the Luxman. I'm really, really enjoying the experience... Incredible stage, detail, bass, etc.

Before I pull the trigger to buy it (and invest in 3-pin balanced cable for the Empyreans), I'm curious if I'm being short-sighted by not chasing down a p750u instead? Based on used pricing I'm seeing online it would be at least $1500 more than this unit and outside of gaining 4-pin outputs not sure how much more I'd gain. I've read some mentions that the p750u could be slightly warmer sounding but I honestly think my DAC has that covered as the 700 doesn't at all sound too sterile or cold.

Anyway, just seeing if any owners care to chime in. Thanks!

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #412 of 418
Well seems like interest in the Luxman is dead, but I did end up buying it and absolutely love it. I've been through many headphone amps and this beats them all (for me). Built like a tank and just does something magical to the sound!
Care to mention the amps you've gone through ?

Apr 27, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #413 of 418
Well seems like interest in the Luxman is dead, but I did end up buying it and absolutely love it. I've been through many headphone amps and this beats them all (for me). Built like a tank and just does something magical to the sound!
You know how things are here. Enjoy your gear

Jul 18, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #415 of 418
I ended up buying the p750u via Buyee from Japan, and I am still pleased as punch with what it offers.

Jul 19, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #416 of 418
I ended up buying the p750u via Buyee from Japan, and I am still pleased as punch with what it offers.
Can you advise a good step down transformer 230v to 100v as i am also planning to buy p750u mark2 from amazon jp….i have found Japanese brand for step down = Attached photo but not sure if it is good for audio?

Attachments

• IMG_2932.png
    IMG_2932.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Jul 19, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #417 of 418
Can you advise a good step down transformer 230v to 100v as i am also planning to buy p750u mark2 from amazon jp….i have found Japanese brand for step down = Attached photo but not sure if it is good for audio?
I ended up buying from Airlink. That might be overkill, but isn't that what we audiophiles are all about? But regardless of choice, I would go with a linear (that is, toroidal) transformer. Step-n-chop transformers make noise for other audio components.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back