Luxman P700u Headphone Amplifier Thread
Dec 8, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #376 of 418
Anyone here have LCD-5 on this amp?
I have the Luxman with LCD-5, sounds great, the Luxman is richly textured and a touch on the warm side, which to me works well with the mid forward LCD-5. Works well with my Utopia, HEKse and Final d800Pros too, but NOT with my Susvara - although it plays loud enough on its high gain setting, Susvara needs more power, with the Luxman it is flat and thin.

Dec 8, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #377 of 418
I have the Luxman with LCD-5, sounds great, the Luxman is richly textured and a touch on the warm side, which to me works well with the mid forward LCD-5. Works well with my Utopia, HEKse and Final d800Pros too, but NOT with my Susvara - although it plays loud enough on its high gain setting, Susvara needs more power, with the Luxman it is flat and thin.
Thanks @puppypatrol !! Genuinely curious about your thoughts on LCD-5 vs HEKse please!!

Dec 12, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #378 of 418
Dec 12, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #379 of 418
I’ve always liked @Currawong reviews and have been reading and watching them for ages.
They’re really refreshing among all the commercially-hyped up crap reviews one mostly sees.
What he reviews here isn’t even available anymore outside of Japan except for second hand, nothing commercial about it.
I do wish he went a bit more into detail about the sound with the LCD-5 though.

Here he goes reviewing my main amp-dac system and I must say when it comes to the amp he’s spot on.
As for the dac he’s even putting it above the Yggy which made me glad I never bought one.
I’m sure the Yggy is a great dac as well but has been overhyped by some.
Don’t get me wrong, I like Schiit and have a 3-piece mid-size stack which I think is best value from them.
I didn’t like their smaller stacks and certainly do not agree with the hype I read about those, they’re just cheap ok amps/dacs to hook up to your PC. I tried a bunch of them.
And I wouldn’t buy their bigger stacks because they have too many QC issues (5 faulty items returned out of the small and mid-size series already for me) to take the risks at that price.

Nope, happy with my Bifrost/Jot/Lyr system hooked up to my PCs in a bunch of different ways as well as to my main music streamer and with my endgame DA-06/P-750u/SQ-N150 hooked up to a Nucleus/Lumin system.
Have been using Luxman since the P-1u/SQ-N100 and only thing I still would replace them with are newer versions of these amps and dacs when they come out in Europe.

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #380 of 418
My p750 drives my Susvaras great even on medium gain, but maybe that's because I set my DAC to the highest output level of 6 volts.

Dec 12, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #381 of 418

Feb 23, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #383 of 418
Does anybody have some insight about how the p-750u compares sonically to the XI Formula S/Powerman combo for planar headphones? I realize there aren't a ton of these in the wild in North America. I'm a current Formula S/Powerman owner but contemplating something that has the same clarity and technical ability, but has a more forgiving, full, and low fatigue sound (with Abyss phones among others). I do like the sound of Luxman integrated amps etc. and that combo of rich tone and tight performance.

Feb 23, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #384 of 418
Does anybody have some insight about how the p-750u compares sonically to the XI Formula S/Powerman combo for planar headphones? I realize there aren't a ton of these in the wild in North America. I'm a current Formula S/Powerman owner but contemplating something that has the same clarity and technical ability, but has a more forgiving, full, and low fatigue sound (with Abyss phones among others). I do like the sound of Luxman integrated amps etc. and that combo of rich tone and tight performance.
I had both at the same time. The P-750u is the better amp. The P-750 has better tone, more drive, better bass weight, and better overall technicalities. In a word, everything you are looking for the P-750u is capable of doing.

It's a full sized component. You can sit both the Powerman and Formula S on top of it. In that regard, the Formula S/Powerman combo beats the P-750u. From a sound standpoint the P-750u is a winner.

Feb 23, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #386 of 418
I had both at the same time. The P-750u is the better amp. The P-750 has better tone, more drive, better bass weight, and better overall technicalities. In a word, everything you are looking for the P-750u is capable of doing.

It's a full sized component. You can sit both the Powerman and Formula S on top of it. In that regard, the Formula S/Powerman combo beats the P-750u. From a sound standpoint the P-750u is a winner.
That's what I like to hear. I should have trusted my gut on this one. Now I've got to remember the name of the one online shop that still has them...

Feb 23, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #387 of 418
That's what I like to hear. I should have trusted my gut on this one. Now I've got to remember the name of the one online shop that still has them...
Yes, you should have jumped on it. I kind of miss my P-750u. When I got my Dave it forced me to modify my who setup. What DAC will you be pairing with the P-750u? I ask because it will matter for sound you want to achieve.

Feb 23, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #388 of 418
Yes, you should have jumped on it. I kind of miss my P-750u. When I got my Dave it forced me to modify my who setup. What DAC will you be pairing with the P-750u? I ask because it will matter for sound you want to achieve.
I definitely should have back in Dec/Jan because it looks like that dealer has finally sold out. Looks like I will be waiting.

I've got an EMM Labs DA2v2, which is very fast, smooth, and detailed. DSD based, and similar territory to DCS and MSB. It seems to play well with anything non-analytical that emphasizes speed and detail AND brings a little fullness/weight. It has a very high output, which does not work for all amps. For balanced I can set it to 5v, which is the "Low Gain" setting.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #389 of 418
I definitely should have back in Dec/Jan because it looks like that dealer has finally sold out. Looks like I will be waiting.

I've got an EMM Labs DA2v2, which is very fast, smooth, and detailed. DSD based, and similar territory to DCS and MSB. It seems to play well with anything non-analytical that emphasizes speed and detail AND brings a little fullness/weight. It has a very high output, which does not work for all amps. For balanced I can set it to 5v, which is the "Low Gain" setting.
Nice, the EMM Labs will be a great pairing with the Luxman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back