Luxman P700u Headphone Amplifier Thread
Jul 5, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #46 of 418
what DAC did you use for audition? p-700u sounds diffrent with differnt DAC significantly FYI.
Honestly, yes that could be the case. At Dynamic Audio, they had it hooked up to DA-06, which is Luxman's DAC, and some CD player. I believe at the show they simply hooked up my IPhone directly with some RCA adapter to the amp.

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #47 of 418
Honestly, yes that could be the case. At Dynamic Audio, they had it hooked up to DA-06, which is Luxman's DAC, and some CD player. I believe at the show they simply hooked up my IPhone directly with some RCA adapter to the amp.

Ah i see. I use to own DA-06 but i acutually sold it. i found DA-06 sounded too polite maybe bit cold? with Luxman DA-200, p-700u sounds warm and lively and fun.
you can check kakaku.com, you can find DA-06 got very bad reputations.

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #48 of 418
Ah i see. I use to own DA-06 but i acutually sold it. i found DA-06 sounded too polite maybe bit cold? with Luxman DA-200, p-700u sounds warm and lively and fun.
you can check kakaku.com, you can find DA-06 got very bad reputations.
Hehe, yeah, and now that I look at it. DA-200 is quite cheaper. Well anyway, I decided to downsize a bit. I'm pretty much selling less of my stuff and my next purchase will either be Telos or Viva Egoista 2a3.

If I do go with Telos, then I can sell everything except my power supply, because the DAC is built in. I just want an end game all in one setup and that's pretty much it. The p-750u doesn't seem to be in that league, unfortunately.

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #50 of 418
Hello,

I was wondering if the new version, p750, has now a preamp functionality.

Claude.

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #52 of 418
Luxman has upgraded their excellent p700u with the introduction of the p750u but Head-Fiers don't seem interested. Unlike much of the gear one stumbles over in the "High-end Audio Forum" the p750u actually qualifies. Luxman has an excellent pedigree, a plethora of patents and the gear to prove it and for those that love "musicality", Luxman provides a house sound that many audiophiles around the world enjoy. The lack of interest reminds this audiophile of the dearth of information one will find on this forum on the EAR HP4, one of the finest headphone amps ever manufactured by a bonafide genius. Several knowledgeable audiophiles love the synergy of the EAR HP4 with the Sennheiser TOTL cans but one would be hard pressed to dig through the threads and find this to be the case here. Wanna hear just how incredible HEK's can sound, plug into an NOS tubed Leben CS-600. Is this not the go-to-site for high-end headphone gear on the internets? Could we not talk "high-end" amps, at least occasionally?

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #53 of 418
yes I also love Luxman gears.:) I really love "Lux-tone". its really pleasant lovely smooth milky meaty bold gorgiouse rich tone.:dt880smile:
how does your EAR HP4 sound? would you describe its sound signature?
I have heard once high end Fostex HP-V8 tube headphone amp at demo shop. its sound really heaven.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #54 of 418
I was listening to my NOS tubed EAR HP4 with the EAR Dac 4 (stock tubes) and Acute 4 transport run through an NOS tubed Calypso Signature linestage with the HEK v2 last night (all gear plugged into a PS Audio PP). Since I'm a traditionalist, two of the selections were the Japanese SHM-CD release of the newly Giles Martin remixed version of Sgt. Pepper's and the 2010 Japanese release of Badfinger's "Straight Up". Both of these titles were extremely well mastered.

Perhaps the simplest way to compare the two is that EAR is the UK equivalent to the Japanese Luxman. While the house sound is certainly not identical, the same words describe the SQ. Full, rich, creamy, silky with the ability to listen deep into the music since both the cans and the kit resolve so very well. I find the synergy of the EAR with the HEK to be ideal. Firstly, the EAR nicely coaxes whatever bass is on the disc to your ears in a most satisfyingly full and rich way. Also, I find the emotional involvement with the music with this particular setup to be quite extraordinary. I wish I could listen all night but after a few hours the HEK begin to hurt just a little bit. Nothing even remotely close to my old Audeze LCD3 which is why an LCD4 is out of the question for me. Also, listening is so very non-fatiguing that after a while I fall asleep :)

As you may know, Luxman has recently introduced the P750u and the report I got from my trusted source is that it sounds phenomenal and as soon as I sell some gear I'm gonna pick one up. The former distributor in the U.S. that was located in CA no longer has an affiliation with Luxman. If by chance you are interested in one, drop me a message and I'll hook you up.

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #55 of 418
Thanks you for your reply and descriptions!
you may be right. traditional CD players may sound much better than PC/MAC + DAC source. Japanese audiophile magazine "Stereo Sound" magazine pro reviewer also said same things. he say CDPs still sound better and more meaty and real compare to computer audio setup.
anyway i really envy your setup.:dt880smile: mut be sound really good!!!

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #56 of 418
Thanks you for your reply and descriptions!
you may be right. traditional CD players may sound much better than PC/MAC + DAC source. Japanese audiophile magazine "Stereo Sound" magazine pro reviewer also said same things. he say CDPs still sound better and more meaty and real compare to computer audio setup.
anyway i really envy your setup.:dt880smile: mut be sound really good!!!

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #57 of 418
I've always felt the same regarding "streaming". Ya know, with sound reproduction we are actually going backwards. When I was a kid one could purchase prerecorded reel to reel tapes of Pop/Rock music issued by the record companies themselves at 71/2 ips. Nothing can beat those today but tape does tend to degrade over time. The next best sounding medium is vinyl which is why it is making such a comeback. When CD's first came out I stupidly bought the hype and sold my turntable. After a while, listening to crappily mastered CD's through lousy CDP's, I stopped listening to music altogether. The savior was the Sony/Philips DSD technology. Hi-Rez sounds very good. Also, CD's are being mastered better these days and the Japanese have come out with some amazing Redbook technology. Also CDP's, especially tubed, are much better now in conveying music. I see the kids listening to MP3 and I cringe though. The future for audiophiles does not appear to be a bright one.

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #58 of 418
Hi,
Well, let's keep real: Vinyl is not making SUCH a come back. It is selling nicely but nothing compared to other means in the audio market. And to listen well at Vinyl you have to pay big amounts of money and spend a lot of time to keep it clean.
Vinyl sound isn't really transparent: clipped trebles, lack of dynamic, ...
Actually you have very good DACs which play better than Vinyl like the French TotalDAC for example, that's one brand but I could also speak of Japanese CEC or Crete Aries Cerat (Kassandra series).
I think that with high quality streaming services like Qobuz, we are walking to a bright audio future.

OK for the p700u. Very nice subtle sound.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #59 of 418
Hi,
Well, let's keep real: Vinyl is not making SUCH a come back.

I see you reside in France Cladane so you aren't on the same mailing lists that I am with American niche companies that are releasing hundreds of older titles on audiophile grade vinyl. Perhaps I should have said vinyl is making a resurgence in the States. The reason for this is that vinyl is analog. Obviously, there is no need for a DAC which removes one link from the chain.

Personally, I prefer listening to DSD since it avoids the pitfalls of listening to vinyl but I'm not convinced that Direct Stream Digital sounds better than a TOTL vinyl rig in a properly treated listening room using audiophile grade vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back