Luxman P-1 - anyone heard one?
Sep 18, 2008 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HiWire

Headphoneus Supremus
I just saw a new email ad from Todd the Vinyl Junkie - with a list of Luxman products, including the P-1 Headphone Amplifier. Has anybody heard one of these yet?

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 13
I think Jude has one and he likes it alot. Maybe he will reply.

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 13
Sep 19, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned one for a few years, a very balanced amp with enough power to drive most phones. Slightly warm sound, good details, but it's not very passionate.

Why is it warm in your opinion, for a fleshed out midrange or upper bass, loose or enhanced bass, recessed treble, intimate presentation... any further comments will be very welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 13
Um...mostly pair P-1 with W2002, 501 or any new phones I've newly acquired.
I listened to Jazz vocal/pop opera and piano, the sound from P-1 is a bit loose bass, and yes recessed treble. It gives me an average of 8.4 out of 10 scale(the score is just my opinion!), but everything is from 8.2 to 8.6, nothing higher and nothing lower.

Sep 20, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um...mostly pair P-1 with W2002, 501 or any new phones I've newly acquired.
I listened to Jazz vocal/pop opera and piano, the sound from P-1 is a bit loose bass, and yes recessed treble. It gives me an average of 8.4 out of 10 scale(the score is just my opinion!), but everything is from 8.2 to 8.6, nothing higher and nothing lower.

Interesting, thanks for replying. May I know which other amps have you tried that score higher in those areas the P-1 isn't stellar?

Rgrds

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 13
I spent a short time recently comparing the Luxman to a Lehmann Black Cube Linear in a store in Tokyo:

- CD Player was some midrange Denon CD Player (maybe in the USD1000 range).
- Headphones were Ultrasone Edition 9 (so conclusions may be different with a high impedance headphone like the Sennheiser HD650).
- Music ranges from jazz to a bit of rock.

I really did not spend much time and only focused on the differences that jumped at me after switching back and forth. Provided what I heard was not due to volume mismatch:
- The Lehmann had much better control of the bass of the Edition 9.
- The Lehmann had much better articulation. I guess I mean that the Luxmann sound sirupy in comparison.

The Luxman amp is widely available in Japan so I actually have listened to it several times over the past 3-4 years. And every time, I liked it by itself. But one of the drawbacks of the relaxed sound is that it does not always sound too exciting. I could imagine times when I want that kind of presentation, but maybe not all the time.

I guess the only real issue I'd have against this unit is the price in the US. I feel you're paying a lot for the prestige of the brand but soundwise there is much competition available, at a quite lower price point. Well, strictly speaking it's not true as this amp has a few more features than usual like tone control (defeatable fortunately), 3 headphone sockets. But not sure this is needed either...

Yet, the amp does look gorgeous. So, if you like a warm sound signature (remember I only listened with the Edition 9, might be a different story with other cans) and like to own nice gear as much as listen to it, then this is the amp for you I'd say!

arnaud

Sep 21, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, thanks for replying. May I know which other amps have you tried that score higher in those areas the P-1 isn't stellar?

Rgrds

In the similiar price range, I had AT HA2002 and Audio Valve RKV MKII(with Impedencer) before. I wouldn't rate them much higher than P-1 in average, but to me they have synergys with certain cans, such as W2002 for the former and HD650 for the latter. That is, their highs & lows are in a wider range compare to P-1, but pair with the right phone they can beat P-1 with that synergy.

I agree with the comment from Arnaud in the upstairs about "not always sound too exciting", and that's what I mean "not very passionate." Besides, the US pricing is really something, a used P-1 in Japan is about JPY90,000 to 135,000 these days.

I still have P-1 while others are gone, in the end of day, I always have several phones from AKG/Beyer/Senn/AT and switching amps around isn't really the best choice when I just want to relax and listen to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back