Lustmord's _Zoetrope_: Notinawarenonogginyesyesgood
Oct 2, 2002 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

scrypt

Head-Fi's Sybil
The cuts I've heard were good -- especially for anyone who might have been interested in the music-to-fall-asleep-to thread. (If this were German, that last bit would be one word.)

I love music that's grim and cold at night's end's lights out. Sleep calls us away from the things of this world. Be there in a minute, Beddoes.

(That last reference is to Thomas Lovell Beddoes (1803-49), the most morbid poet in the English language, who wrote a play called Death's Jestbook and eventually committed suicide. He's the only English romantic poet to have earned one degree in medicine from Bavaria and another in philosophy from Zurich. Anyone who's interested in Beddoes can read my article on the New York Press web site. I recommend him to fans of _Titus Andronicus_ and Webster's nightmarish tragedies.)

Oct 3, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 4
I like Lustmord a lot, but have a problem with a lot of other Cold Meat Industry -type stuff. You like Lull? Shinjuku Thief? (Have we had this discussion before?) How would you compare it to his other stuff?

Oct 4, 2002 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 4
I have friends on the Cold Meat label so I can't speak to your CMI issues without a touch of bias. I will say I'm quite fond of the sensibility of Roger Karmanik's Brighter Death Now and used to like Memorandum and Sutcliffe Jugend a bit. I still like certai things by Raison d'Etre. But keep in mind that much of what I'm talking about is five years old and I haven't listened to it lately. And something does bother me about the use of fake Latin in consciously archaic titles.

Still, I'm glad certain artists on CMI are unafraid to seem pretentious because everyone in the States is busily trying to erase history, not resurrect it. There's more than enough low culture to go around.

However:

CMI is about utterly different things (such as deadpan humor) than Lustmord. And I do think this album's different. I'd compare Zoetrope to Thomas Koner: It has a slowed-down cinematic quality. The sound of trains nodding off. There are far fewer Middle-Eastern references and very little harmonic content in what I heard. Zoetrope is far less referential than Paradise Disowned.

Oct 5, 2002 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
I have friends on the Cold Meat label so I can't speak to your CMI issues without a touch of bias.

Oops. Sorry about that. Quote:

But keep in mind that much of what I'm talking about is five years old and I haven't listened to it lately.

Yeah, me neither. Quote:

...I do think this album's different. I'd compare Zoetrope to Thomas Koner: It has a slowed-down cinematic quality. The sound of trains nodding off. There are far fewer Middle-Eastern references and very little harmonic content in what I heard. Zoetrope is far less referential than Paradise Disowned.

Sounds interesting, will check it out. Thanks for the heads-up.

Will also give those other recordings you mentioned another chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back