Lush Portables?
Mar 22, 2012 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

IzzyAxel

Head-Fier
Could anyone recommend a good set for portable use (driven out of an iPhone or iPhone>SoundMagic A10 or similar, preferably circumaural) with a lush presentation?  Something less in your face, and a lot more relaxed than the Grados, but not something dark and syrupy.  I'd like a happy medium between the two extremes.  Bass quality is also preferred over quantity; no boomy bass plx.  And of course, it'd be great if they were comfortable/lightweight :wink:  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edit: Forgot, price range is $2-400, the two cans I've had my eye on for this purpose have been the Hifiman HE-400 and the Beyerdynamic DT1350.

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 12

Quote:
Could anyone recommend a good set for portable use (driven out of an iPhone or iPhone>SoundMagic A10 or similar, preferably circumaural) with a lush presentation?  Something less in your face, and a lot more relaxed than the Grados, but not something dark and syrupy.  I'd like a happy medium between the two extremes.  Bass quality is also preferred over quantity; no boomy bass plx.  And of course, it'd be great if they were comfortable/lightweight :wink:  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edit: Forgot, price range is $2-400, the two cans I've had my eye on for this purpose have been the Hifiman HE-400 and the Beyerdynamic DT1350.

ESW9
V-moda M80
DT1350

The first two are more smooth and lush than DT1350 IMO.

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 12
Fischer Audio OldSkool RPM 33 1/3.  Not overtly lush (or dry) through the mids.. very balanced & slightly warm.  The texturing through the midrange reminds me of the Silver Bullet in some ways.  Lovely.

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #6 of 12
Hm...do any of these benefit from good amping?  My goal is the Alo Continental V2 + CLAS.  I've heard the DT1350s do benefit, but I'm not sure just how much the Continental would put into it, or how well they'd synergize.

Also, from the FR graphs, the DT1350 has a lot more sub bass than the ESW9A...this equates to more balanced overall bass response doesn't it?  Would the Continental tone the highs of the Beyers down?  What would it do for the ESW9A?  And with this talk of the DT1350, how would the Sennheiser Amperior/HD 25-1-II fare for my need?

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 12
I know they're considered to be pretty good, but I don't know if I could actually walk around in public wearing lifestyles.  I'll wear Tripps, I'll do silly things to my hair, I'll even get piercings, but I draw the line at hexagons and skulls on my hunks of over-engineered plastic and aluminum!  But on a serious note, I'm looking for a more comprehensive bass, up and down, not just a mid bass bloat.

Judging from what I want out of them, and what I've heard so far, the DT1350s sound about right.  They sound like they have a decently balanced presentation, and have excellent bass response.  I think I'll pick up a CLAS before the trip, and use the E7 with it instead of buying a new amp, the E7 sounds like a WWG to me, and the DT1350s seem to be fairly transparent from what I've read, the CLAS should theoretically increase that.  I lurve me some transparency! :p  And, is the E7 enough to get the last bit out of the DT1350s?

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I know they're considered to be pretty good, but I don't know if I could actually walk around in public wearing lifestyles.  I'll wear Tripps, I'll do silly things to my hair, I'll even get piercings, but I draw the line at hexagons and skulls on my hunks of over-engineered plastic and aluminum!  But on a serious note, I'm looking for a more comprehensive bass, up and down, not just a mid bass bloat.

Judging from what I want out of them, and what I've heard so far, the DT1350s sound about right.  They sound like they have a decently balanced presentation, and have excellent bass response.  I think I'll pick up a CLAS before the trip, and use the E7 with it instead of buying a new amp, the E7 sounds like a WWG to me, and the DT1350s seem to be fairly transparent from what I've read, the CLAS should theoretically increase that.  I lurve me some transparency! :p  And, is the E7 enough to get the last bit out of the DT1350s?

You can put whatever you want on the cups, not just skulls. :p  If you don't like how they look that's fine, but they sound excellent.  The bass definitely isn't bloated at all and I find the mids to be fairly forward.  If anything it has a very mild n-shaped sound, as opposed to a v-shaped one.

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 12
Portable he-400s? I've heard they can be driven out of pretty much everything but they're open and somewhat large, I dont know if I'd use tehm as a portable.

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 12
I also think you'd like the M-80. Great phones for the price and well built.

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #12 of 12
Welp, tomorrow around 3:30 I should have the Beyerdynamic DT1350 in my grubby mitts.  Heh, sorry, I can never resist the allure of balance. <3

Thanks for the suggestions, now Ill have to listen and see if the E7 will do, signature wise.  If I do want a slightly warmer portable amp for them, would the SoundMagic A10 be a good choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back