Lush midrange
Jan 15, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #16 of 17
SE530's are always commended on their "mid's" so id say that must be for a good reason, so many different people agreeing to the same thing

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #17 of 17
I auditioned a few IEMs yesterday and got one.

SE530 - Not bad, but nothing special to me, it might be that the new wave of IEMs are better, somewhat small sound stage.

Custom 2 - Warm and liquid midrage, but seems to have a slight high mid hump, somewhat tube like, quite an interesting presentation to me. I wanted to try the Custom 3 but they didn't have a demo unit.

IE8 - Most natural sounding of all. The way that it present reverb and decay is the most realistic I've heard in an IEM, forgiving and non fatiguing sound, I almost got this but sound somewhat veiled in comparison.

Westone 3 - Seems to be the most detailed, has the strongest reverb and detail highlight, but not as realistc sounding as the IE8, but I settled with this anyway.

UM2 - I didn't expect much but I thought that it is really good, might have less treble resolution than the W3 but W3 is more treble active and more prone to sibilance, if I am in a blind test I'd not be surprising if I picked it.

It was a tough choice between W3 and IE8. In the end W3 prevailed over IE8 for its fit and comfort, I know I could always fall back to comply tips if all else fails me. Right now I am using the large round silicon tip but isolation is not fantastic, I am used to ER-4 so the bar is set pretty high for me. I guess I'll try the comply tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back