Lush midrange
Jan 14, 2009 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Navyblue

Headphoneus Supremus
Which of the followings is the king of lush midrange now?

- Shure SE530
- Westone UM2
- Klipsch Custom 3
- Sennheiser IE8
- Others?
- Or can't be wrong with either?

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 17
SE530 is still the midrange king IMO. only one I havent heard outr of your list is the IE8, but i'm getting them in a week or so. but out of the others you name the SE530 definitely comes out on top by a good margin. Oh and I havent heard the custom 3 either, but I havent seen too much good press to do with them. of course they might be just your cup of tea; i'm even doubtful that the IE8 will beat SE530 mids

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 17
shure really emphasised on midrange, won't go wrong with that one if midrange is your priority, but basically you are trading off some really quality highs by giving up the other ones. I like balanced sound better with no emphasis on any sound range, also clarity and detail is my priority, so I took westone 3 my best IEM. Everything fits my expection ^ ^

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 17
shure se530 has still the most forward midrange out of what i have heard, the highs compliment the bass nicely, bass again, nice, full, clean and not too much, does the midrange wonders.

but if midrange is the most important aspect, choose the shures everytime.

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shure really emphasised on midrange, won't go wrong with that one if midrange is your priority, but basically you are trading off some really quality highs by giving up the other ones. I like balanced sound better with no emphasis on any sound range, also clarity and detail is my priority, so I took westone 3 my best IEM. Everything fits my expection ^ ^

from what everyone is saying the westone 3 is far from flat. and a balanced sound with no emphasis on any range is something more like the etymotic range, which is flat and completely balanced, hence the sound is a little boring but true.

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 17
Westone 3 sounds nasal compared to IE8..something wrong with the tone.

otherwise it has its strengths

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westone 3 sounds nasal compared to IE8..something wrong with the tone.

otherwise it has its strengths

watch out, Feather's about...
atsmile.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from what everyone is saying the westone 3 is far from flat. and a balanced sound with no emphasis on any range is something more like the etymotic range, which is flat and completely balanced, hence the sound is a little boring but true.

Naa, I have been listening to westone 3 for more than a month now, the sound is very very balanced to me..not arguable ^ ^ And I found etymotic 's treble a lil harsh, don't really like it.
I am not going to reject other people's opinions hey, different ears hear different sounds, I'm just in the same direction with the main stream and many professionals, very happy about w3. It's lucky for those who dnt like the sound of w3, save money. But I just can't get over it.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Naa, I have been listening to westone 3 for more than a month now, the sound is very very balanced to me..not arguable ^ ^ [...]

Is this another W3 thread? Unless you are arguing that the W3 (not listed in the OP) is the actual king of midrange, I think you are taking this off-topic.

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 17
Btw, I am not against treble or bass, as long as vocal full, euphonic, textured and emotional. That's by far the number one criteria. Isolation is probably second most important to me.

The reputation of the isolation on the IE8 and Custom 3 seems to be short of the top notch, yes? no?

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #13 of 17
I don't think there are many people who would argue that the SE530's are not very, very stong in the middle range.

Of course, sometimes it seems like people will argue about the color of the sky, but I digress.

I also would go out on a limb and say that, as far as midrange goes, you're gonna find more people pick the SE530's tops than any other IEM. With good reason.

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #14 of 17
When you say "lush" you do mean a smoother, fuller, richer, velvety type of sound, correct? These descriptive terms what you're shooting for?

I ask because a lot of folks will readily suggest mid range strong earphones, but they may not necessarily be smooth, full, velvety in nature. They may be quite the opposite, upbeat, crisp, in your face, etc. If you do want the fuller, velvety type of sound, you will have to give up some level of detail. You'd look for a headphone that has good mid range and lower mid range emphasis but a softer presence.

It's useful to explain, in detail, exactly what kind of sound you want. It is helpful for others to provide options that actually have that sound.

I personally haven't listened to very many earphones. I'm quite the greenhorn in the ear-fi world. I know audio and could point you to home or car audio options, just not headphones.
frown.gif
I haven't personally heard an IEM that sounds the way you want.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #15 of 17
When people talk "lush", Klipsch inevitably comes up.

When people talk "midrange", Shure inevitably comes up.

Go with one of them. Research the Image X10, Custom 3, and SE530. Pick one and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back