lush and revealing?
Nov 23, 2004 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

kamenal

Head-Fier
Hello! I am new here and I have a question. Is it possible to put together a headphone only rig, which is lush and revealing (?tubes) for approx $1000US?
I realise, that one can spend thousands on something like that, but, please, let me hear your suggestions. Obviously, it would include a cd player, cables, amplifier and headphones. I want to be immersed in my music (classical only).

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Alex

Nov 23, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 29
lush and revealing... haha, that made me laugh. You sure can with 1000 dollars. You could probably start with a pair of headphones, a source like a cd-player or heaven forbid a computer sound card, you'll need an amp, some interconnects and you should be set to go.

Some ball park figures:
Some nice pair of headphones 100 to 400 dollars. Ranging from ATH A900 to Grado RS-1 and Sennheiser HD-650/600/580. All of these have different sounds but they all seem to be very revealing. Lush.... i dunno quite what you want. You mean vibrant sounding? Stuff like Grado and even the Sony CD3K are good.

Source: Can cost the least or the most of all the components. 100 dollar RCA or panasonic cd players to 400 to 500 dollars DACs. Look in the source forum for specific players.

Amp: This could get pricy too but an average price of a top notch amp could run you 300 dollars or so. Try a PPA or IME perreaux sxh-1, ppx3 and mpx3 are good. So are Gilmores etc. Meta42 and CMOY are cheaper DIY amps made by a good number of members on these forums.

ICs: really is hard to appreciate high end interconnects. I'd say a good beginner's one would be Zu Pivots. You can find them on ebay. Also look in the cables section for more specific information.

I think the greatest help is to look through past threads about all the stuff you're interested in. You might be able to get more specific help from people with a more extensive knowledge of different components in a good audiophile system.

Make sure that you understand that as prices go higher on components, you need equally or more expensive gear to bring out the best in whatever you buy. So a budget of 1000 dollars is more than capable of getting you started.

Nov 23, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 29
CDP- (NAD 542 for ex)- $500
HP- (HD580 definitely)- $150
IC- $50 do some research
AMP- $300 do some research

I'd break it up that cost-wise. Good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 29
When buying headphone + amp, don't forget the electrostatic alternative. For primarily classical, the Stax SRS-2020 system is hard to beat for the price, and if you want to spend/waste more, the 3030 is probably the best price/performance ratio hi-fi set that you can get (debatable). The 2020 will drop you $449 from Audiocubes, the 3030 $779. I'd say go with the 2020, get decent IC's - HeadRoom sells DiMarzio IC's which are pretty good for $89, although you can probably ebay them for cheaper - and that still leaves you with $462 to get your source. For that money, you can do pretty well, but I'm not the best person to advise you here. The 2020 is supremely comfortable, too, although it can get a bit hot after a few hours.

Alternatively, if comfort isn't an issue at all, the Stax SR-005 canalphone system sounds as good, and in some ways better, than the 2020, but for a bit less cash. It's not quite as extended in the top end, and the soundstage is narrower, since it is a canalphone, but the bass is deeper and the mids are a bit more lush and resolved. I have the SR-001 Mk II and I love it, preferring it to many more expensive setups - but they're uncomfortable for long periods of time. My ears got used to it - but that shouldn't be a part of a good headphone experience.

Think about it. Electrostatics aren't really that expensive - the amp is simply included in the price. When you compare them against similar dynamic setups, they actually offer better bang for the buck. I'd say Stax 2020 all the way, and 3030 if you can stretch your budget.

Nov 23, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murdoch
CDP- (NAD 542 for ex)- $500
HP- (HD580 definitely)- $150
IC- $50 do some research
AMP- $300 do some research

I'd break it up that cost-wise. Good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree with this for the most part. I would probably add a few hundred more and do the following:

CD player - NAD 542 ~ $200 on the used market
Phones - HD 580 ~$150
Headphone replacement cable - Silver Dragon or Equinox - $200
Amp - SinglePower PPX3 -$500
ICs - MAS Gray pure silver or AQ Coral ~$60

That brings us to $1100 or so. If you can squeeze another $150, get the 6sn7 version of the SinglePower PPX3. That would get you VERY CLOSE to where you want to be more or less on budget.

Nov 23, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 29
Revealing headphones for classical music... that's just begging for a Stax recommendation
lambda.gif

The 3030s will fit well under $1000, amplifier and cables. Leaving plenty of room for a good CD player.

Classical music comes out most incredible, but then everything does.

Nov 23, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 29
I'd go with a HD600 as the headphone for your price point, or alternatively the 580 if you really want to invest a ton in your source. I'd recommend spending more $$ on the source than anything else, period. This is because you'll definitely consider upgrading and you dont want to have to lay down $2000 again for a source.

Nov 23, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake
I agree with this for the most part. I would probably add a few hundred more and do the following:

Phones - HD 580 ~$150

That brings us to $1100 or so. If you can squeeze another $150, get the 6sn7 version of the SinglePower PPX3. That would get you VERY CLOSE to where you want to be more or less on budget.

This looks like a pretty good system. The only thing I would do though is combine the HD580 money and the aftermarket cable money = 350.00, and get a pr. of HD650 instead.
Dont be afraid to buy used. Also you can see if Mikhail at Singlepower can let go of one of his demo amps.
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake
Phones - HD 580 ~$150

The c542 is more like $350 on the used market. Also, wouldn't it be better to get a stock H650 over the 580 w/ si.dr. or equ.?

Nov 23, 2004 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 29
For lush and revealing, I suggest waterproof headphones, a jacuzzi and a few bikini clad Playboy bunnies.

See ya
Steve

Nov 24, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #12 of 29
My headphone rig cost around a little over $1000 and it's definately lush, revealing, and immersive (and warm!)

NAD C541i - $325 shipped (or c542 if you can't get this one, but it's cheaper and still good.)

MG HEAD Mark III Headphone amp - around $370 shipped?

Headphile basic interconnects or ? ($25 + shipping)

Better tubes ($100+)

Sennheiser HD650's - $350 or so

That comes to grand total of $1170. Of course, if you got the tube upgrades later, that would be $1070, which is closer to your figure. I listen to mostly jazz but I have listened to classical on this setup is it's perfect for either, and acoustic sounds in general.

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
combine the HD580 money and the aftermarket cable money = 350.00, and get a pr. of HD650 instead.

I agree, if you go with dynamic phones rather than electostats, I'd choose the hd650 now (with maybe maybe new cables later) rather than 580 with expensive cables to start with. Of course I haven't listened to both, so my advise maybe worth exactly what you paid for it.

No matter. For $1000 you can put together a good headphone/CD only system. I'd split the funds up about equally between source/amp/phones to start with. Maybe give a little extra to phones and source. I'd pick phones first, then go shopping for amp and source. I wouldn't bother with expensive cables at first. If you can, listen to what you are going to buy, then buy it from where you listened. Just be prepared to upgrade whatever you buy. You can not resist. Welcome, and sorry about your walet...

Nov 24, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamenal
Hello! I am new here and I have a question. Is it possible to put together a headphone only rig, which is lush and revealing (?tubes) for approx $1000US?
I realise, that one can spend thousands on something like that, but, please, let me hear your suggestions. Obviously, it would include a cd player, cables, amplifier and headphones. I want to be immersed in my music (classical only).

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Alex

For $1000? I doubt it, unless you get some of the pricier stuff used.

Nov 24, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #15 of 29
This is my suggestion, this would be a great setup for:

Rock
Jazz
Blues
Much of the Electronic music scene

Start off with a pair of Grado SR225 headphones: http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/pr...uct.php?id=132
(These can be upgraded easily to RS-1s or, god-forbid, PS-1s later)
195$$

Get an amp:
Ear+ Purist Stereo Headphone Amplifier (http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/)
475$$

CD Player: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....lay&1105918314
California Audio Lab Icon mkII - one of the best CD players I've ever heard for under 1000 dollars
250$$

Interconnects:
http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/pr...duct.php?id=50
DiMarzio - 89$$

You've ended up spending 1009$$ With shipping this ends up to be about 1018 or maybe 1020. Twenty dollars over your budget for a system that sounds like it's worth twice as much.

I'd just hold off until you can afford the extra twenty and get this setup. The performance in rock music will astound you.

EDIT: Whoops, I just read you want this for classical music only.

In this case, subsitute the headphones with the Sennheiser HD580s (http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/pr...uct.php?id=158 - 199) and the headamp with: (http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...eadphone%20Amp) The MG Head OTL MKIII - 395$$ - this will keep you a few bucks under your budget and will sound much better for Classical

Users who are viewing this thread

Back