LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player
Mar 23, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #271 of 452
On this note, does this mean that on the T2, it’s ok to connect both XLR and RCA simultaneously?
Sound degredation is minimal on D1 / D2 / T2 / T3 in this configuration, but it can depend on the particular setup, there is a higher potential for ground loop.
Our general recommendation is not to do it, but we have customers who do and are happy.

Edit: I would say that if there is no obvious increase in noise, then it's likely no problem.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #272 of 452
Sound degredation is minimal on D1 / D2 / T2 / T3 in this configuration, but it can depend on the particular setup, there is a higher potential for ground loop.
Our general recommendation is not to do it, but we have customers who do and are happy.
Ok thanks!

Mar 25, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #273 of 452
I ordered an optical switch and a pair of SFP modules along with the fiber cable to test out the optical input on the X1. Curious how much difference it makes.

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #275 of 452
I ordered an optical switch and a pair of SFP modules along with the fiber cable to test out the optical input on the X1. Curious how much difference it makes.
Which switch, SFP modules and fibre optic cable did you order?

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #276 of 452
are the streamer only products bringing that much more to the table than their streamer/dac?

eg, u2 mini vs T2?
No, it simply provides more choice. U2 Mini and T2 are very similar in the streaming and PSU sections, so it then comes down to DAC choice.
We've had customers switch in both directions and been happy, so I think it comes down to personal preference.
Personally, if you are looking for an upgrade for T2 I would look at P1 or X1 instead of moving to U2 Mini + DAC.

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #277 of 452
Which switch, SFP modules and fibre optic cable did you order?
I ordered the Trendnet 4 port sfp router linked from the Lumin page, and two Trendnet SFP modules, and the fiber cable they also linked to. Cable shows up tomorrow so I’ll have a few days to tinker.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #278 of 452
Mar 29, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #279 of 452
I am daisy chaining two SOtM sNH-10G switches in both of my systems. I am using Finisar FCBG110SD1C03 in headphone system, and a Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL, in the speaker system. These SFP's were recommended by others who have rolled and experimented.

From the second SOtM switch it connects to a Lumin U1X.

Fiber optic/SFP brought a nice improvement for sure. Daisy chaining 2 SOtM switches (as opposed to just a single SOtM switch) was an even greater improvement for me than adding fiber optic/SFP, but both tweaks are worthwhile.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #280 of 452
I am daisy chaining two SOtM sNH-10G switches in both of my systems. Finisar FCBG110SD1C03 in headphone system, and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL, in the speaker system. These SFP's were recommended by others who have rolled and experimented.

From the second SOtM switch it connects to a Lumin U1X.

Fiber optic/SFP brought a nice improvement for sure. Daisy chaining 2 SOtM switches (as opposed to just a single SOtM switch) was an even greater improvement for me than adding fiber optic/SFP, but both tweaks are worthwhile.
Thanks a lot, this is very helpful. I was looking to get Sonore opticalModule Deluxe, but it seems that the unit was designed as a multimode device, whereas Lumin recommends single mode. I decided to go with a regular non-audiophile SFP switch, transceiver and cable first (as recommended by Peter from Lumin) and see how it goes.

Apr 2, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #281 of 452
I tried the SFP and my first impressions were that I greatly preferred Ethernet over SFP. With SFP/fiber, I hear a digital glare and more emphasis on siblants, whereas the Ethernet was smooth and more natural. The SFP/fiber showed a bit quieter background and some greater detail, but my ears were more fatigued vs Ethernet. There was an unmistakable brightness in my system with fiber.

This result was surprising given that most people seem to prefer the SFP/fiber. I’m using basic CAT6 Ethernet cable - I’ve got some more expensive audiophile Ethernet cable on the way to demo.

Apr 2, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #282 of 452
I tried the SFP and my first impressions were that I greatly preferred Ethernet over SFP. With SFP/fiber, I hear a digital glare and more emphasis on siblants, whereas the Ethernet was smooth and more natural. The SFP/fiber showed a bit quieter background and some greater detail, but my ears were more fatigued vs Ethernet. There was an unmistakable brightness in my system with fiber.

This result was surprising given that most people seem to prefer the SFP/fiber. I’m using basic CAT6 Ethernet cable - I’ve got some more expensive audiophile Ethernet cable on the way to demo.
That’s a bit unexpected. When my P1 arrives, I intend to run it through fiber from the beginning and once it reached 200+ hours, I’ll see how the sound evolve.

Apr 3, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #283 of 452
I personally think SFP vs ethernet is very much system dependent. I also found a bit quieter, blacker background, slightly more detail with SFP, but ethernet also sounds very good.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, people just need to experiment and see which option is preferable. I know users in both camps, and a strong opinion each way. I could be very happy with either, I just (slightly) prefer SFP.

I am really sensitive to digital glare and sibilance and it is one sonic sin I won't tolerate at all, so I was hesitant to try SFP, but, things worked out in both my systems. However, it is something to consider for sure. My sense from researching other user reports is, when a user prefers ethernet, it was due to sibilance/glare with SFP.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #284 of 452
Also, while SFP works for me, my spaghetti setup is likely not typical, so my findings may be different from others:

Wifi range extender > ethernet > SOtM switch > Finisar SFP+ > fiber optic > Finisar SFP+ > SOtM switch (LPS) > ethernet > SOtM Iso Cat 7 ethernet filter > ethernet > Lumin

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #285 of 452
Also, while SFP works for me, my spaghetti setup is likely not typical, so my findings may be different from others:

Wifi range extender > ethernet > SOtM switch > Finisar SFP+ > fiber optic > Finisar SFP+ > SOtM switch (LPS) > ethernet > SOtM Iso Cat 7 ethernet filter > ethernet > Lumin
So you are actually using the ethernet input on the Lumin (and not the fiber/SFP input), is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back