Lumin Dedicated Streamer
Feb 24, 2020 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

F208Frank

Headphoneus Supremus
Holy flying F, all these years I have been using USB out of my desktop computer and finally tried a Lumins dedicated streamer and what a game changer. I had no idea how much dedicated servers/streamers help...

What exactly is going on for it to make that much of a difference? Just the noise from the desktop PC taken out of the equation?

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 4
Holy flying F, all these years I have been using USB out of my desktop computer and finally tried a Lumins dedicated streamer and what a game changer. I had no idea how much dedicated servers/streamers help...

What exactly is going on for it to make that much of a difference? Just the noise from the desktop PC taken out of the equation?

Its a mix between isolated circuits and OS dedicated to audio reproduction and higher quality parts. You usually get a fanless, noiseless streamer, with a cool OS only for audio streaming and you usually get a nice power supply that's linear and pushes out some good amps. I believe its the combo of all of that plus some placebo because you're like, "wow this is nice, I've made a pretty good upgrade to my audio source! This def sounds better than running straight from my computer."

As long as you're happier and the music is sounding better I don't see a problem with your purchase. I myself use a dedicated streamer!

Cheers and happy listening friend

- Jonathan

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 4
I'm surprised that dedicated streamers are not talked about more often.

I was doing a search on Lumin and only 2 threads showed up. Pretty crazy.

This was a huge upgrade for me, partially because I was not expecting much out of it.

I came across the Lumin brand by wanting a competent streamer without a DAC as I wanted to use my own DAC. For my speakers I have used the Bluesound Node 1 for over 5 years and always thought that all streamers were the same as it is only just "digital"

I even asked a few Dac/Streamer manufacturers at Can Jam for their opinion on whether if the quality of the streamer matters and some actually told me no and that they all do the same thing at similar performance.

This is why you need to see for yourself sometimes.

The quality differences of a streamer is easily heard and I'm glad I tried it for myself rather than to blindly just listen to opposing opinions on this.

I also am the type to want to keep the chain as simple as possible with less items as possible unless absolutely "necessary."

Hope this helps someone.

U1 for my headphone rig, U1 mini for the speaker rig. Headphone rig gets more love.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 4
For people who have Lumin Streamers, do you feel the Lumin App sounds better or the Roon App?

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back