Lucinda Williams
May 23, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 7
May 24, 2003 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 7
Lucinda is great. Let's say last three albums, since the earliest may be her best. Check out the far lesser known band, Hem, also. And I gotta keep recommending Kate Rusby.

Jun 2, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Lucinda is great. Let's say last three albums, since the earliest may be her best. Check out the far lesser known band, Hem, also. And I gotta keep recommending Kate Rusby.

Bought Rabbit Songs after reading this post and had to reply. What a beautiful album. It and Sleeping on Roads by Neil Halstead are now my two favorite albums of the year. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jun 2, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 7
I have Lucinda Williams' Car Wheels... which is one of my all-time fav CDs with good sound quality (Steve Earle produced). i also have "Essence" which is good, but not as good as car Wheels, to me sounds a little brittle and hashy sort of digital. She has a new one out, that has received mixed reviews-- I've read really glowing reviews and some ho-hum reviews. Nevertheless it's on my list. When i get it, I'll try to remember to post here my thoughts.

Mark

Jun 3, 2003 at 12:49 PM Post #6 of 7
I bought her latest CD when it first came out. I've listened to it seven or eight time since. I think it gets better with repeated listenings. I can see where it might get mixed reviews, it's very eclectic. For people looking for one type of music, they probably only get about 1/4 of a CD.
Saw a couple of things on CMT about her. One was the top 40 country female vocalists, she ranked number 37. I thought this was kinda low, but then again she is not a record company type of country artist. The other was a Crossroads show pairing her and Elvis Costello. I'm not a real big fan of CMT, but their Crossroads shows are generally pretty good, and this one was excellent. I think CMT rebroadcasts these shows periodically, so it will probably show up again. Well worth trying to catch.

Jun 5, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 7
I'm not really a country fan, or a female singer-songwriter fan, I'm more of a Yes/Pink Floyd/Genesis fan. But I read such a great review of "Car Wheels" in Rolling Stone that I took a shot on it through BMG and really liked it. What a great, whiskey-soaked voice. After initially finding "Essence" a little quiet in comparison, I now prefer it, especially the title track. If the song 'Essence' doesn't get you going, check your pulse.

She's one of the reasons I got off my ass and got tickets for Neil Young & Crazy Horse at MSG later this month— Lucinda's opening.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back