Lucid Listening
Oct 15, 2023 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DP42

Head-Fier
I am starting to wonder about my listening experiences, and how much of it is in my mind vs my ears. I am using a CD player with BF2+G111+LCD2C. A typical session begins with me struggling to settle in, maybe the first CD doesn't sound that great, also swapping back and forth between Ananda and LCD2C. I get into my second CD and might see some improvement, maybe skipping tracks to find the good ones. Finally, I get into a third CD and find something that sounds good, I settle in and start to connect with the music, I might even nod off for a bit, then I enter a lucid type state where I no longer feel the headphones and the music seems perfect. My ears are not bothered, I am surrounded by the music, both inside and outside my head, I am not thinking about the quality of the sound, it just seems perfect and I am in a trance like state track after track. But, I do notice if I am not careful I can come out of the trance and start to see the music as less perfect, I am no longer inside the music, but listening to headphones. Anyone else experience these sorts of things while listening?

Oct 16, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 8
I am starting to wonder about my listening experiences, and how much of it is in my mind vs my ears. I am using a CD player with BF2+G111+LCD2C. A typical session begins with me struggling to settle in, maybe the first CD doesn't sound that great, also swapping back and forth between Ananda and LCD2C. I get into my second CD and might see some improvement, maybe skipping tracks to find the good ones. Finally, I get into a third CD and find something that sounds good, I settle in and start to connect with the music, I might even nod off for a bit, then I enter a lucid type state where I no longer feel the headphones and the music seems perfect. My ears are not bothered, I am surrounded by the music, both inside and outside my head, I am not thinking about the quality of the sound, it just seems perfect and I am in a trance like state track after track. But, I do notice if I am not careful I can come out of the trance and start to see the music as less perfect, I am no longer inside the music, but listening to headphones. Anyone else experience these sorts of things while listening?
It’s a shame you don’t live in Colorado or California, where you could experience music induced “trance” with THC.
IMHO alcohol is not anywhere near as good in helping to experience altered states of mind focusing, using music as the “mandala”.

My objective when listening is to improve my “music meditation” with the objective of giving my “normal” thoughts a time-out, in order to experience an alternative “mindfullness” based on attention only given to music. one could call this a “trance”.

I would guess that your analytic mind is dominating your listening and is likely distracting you.

Oct 16, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 8
I have always enjoyed the escape aspect found in my other activities (motorcycling, mountain biking, and especially when I used to run). When I got a set of speakers and amp this Spring I discovered I would occasionally experience a trance-like effect during a listening session. Now, since getting into headphones, I have these experiences pretty regularly. Going to CanJam soon, really curious to hear top end gear; very happy with my current setup, but wondering what the next level sounds like.

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 8
I have always enjoyed the escape aspect found in my other activities (motorcycling, mountain biking, and especially when I used to run). When I got a set of speakers and amp this Spring I discovered I would occasionally experience a trance-like effect during a listening session. Now, since getting into headphones, I have these experiences pretty regularly. Going to CanJam soon, really curious to hear top end gear; very happy with my current setup, but wondering what the next level sounds like.
I asked ChatGPT about music and FLOW

Q: Can I achieve "flow" listening to music with an objective of quietening my "monkey mind"

Absolutely! Many people find that listening to music can be a powerful tool for achieving a state of flow and quieting the "monkey mind." Here are a few tips on how you can use music to help calm your mind and potentially enter a state of flow:
  1. Choose the Right Music:
    • Instrumental music or music with minimal lyrics is often recommended, as it is less likely to distract your mind.
    • Consider genres like classical, ambient, jazz, or lo-fi music, which are known for their soothing and calming qualities.
  2. Create a Playlist:
    • Prepare a playlist in advance with music that you find calming and conducive to focus.
    • Having a set playlist can eliminate the need to make decisions about what to listen to, helping you maintain focus.
  3. Volume Control:
    • Adjust the volume to a level that is comfortable for you. It should be loud enough to drown out potential distractions but not so loud that it becomes overwhelming.
  4. Mindful Listening:
    • Practice mindful listening by paying attention to the details of the music—the instruments, melodies, and rhythms. This can help anchor your mind in the present moment.
  5. Combine with Mindfulness Techniques:
    • Pair listening to music with mindfulness or meditation techniques. Focus on your breath, and let the music become a background that helps anchor you in the present.
  6. Use Music as a Cue:
    • Make listening to music a cue for entering a focused state. When you put on your chosen music, let it signal to your mind that it's time to concentrate and quiet the chatter.
  7. Experiment:
    • Experiment with different types of music to find what works best for you. Some people find classical music helps them concentrate, while others might prefer electronic or nature sounds.
  8. Combine with Work or Activities:
    • Integrate music into your work routine or activities that require concentration. Over time, your mind may associate the music with a focused state, making it easier to enter a flow state.
Remember that everyone's preferences are different, so it may take some experimentation to find the type of music and approach that works best for you. The key is to use music as a tool to enhance your focus and create a conducive environment for entering a state of flow.

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 8
A hair raising experience?

ChatGPT
Q:
what is the benefit of experiencing "frisson" when in a state of flow meditation

"Frisson" refers to the physiological response characterized by goosebumps, shivers, or tingling sensations that people sometimes experience in response to emotionally powerful stimuli, such as music, art, or intense moments in movies. Experiencing frisson during meditation, especially in a state of flow, can have several potential benefits:
  1. Heightened Emotional Engagement:
    • Frisson is often associated with intense emotional experiences. Experiencing it during meditation may indicate a heightened emotional engagement with the practice, making the meditation session more meaningful and impactful.
  2. Deeper Connection to the Present Moment:
    • Frisson can be a sign that you are deeply connected to the present moment. In a state of flow meditation, the heightened emotional and sensory experiences associated with frisson may indicate a profound sense of presence and mindfulness.
  3. Enhanced Emotional Regulation:
    • Intense emotional experiences, like those associated with frisson, can contribute to emotional regulation. Meditation itself is known to promote emotional well-being, and the addition of frisson may enhance this aspect by providing a tangible, physiological response to positive emotional states.
  4. Increased Focus and Concentration:
    • Experiencing frisson during meditation may contribute to an increased sense of focus and concentration. The intense emotional response can serve as a powerful anchor, helping to maintain attention on the present moment and the meditation practice.
  5. Positive Neurological Effects:
    • The physiological response associated with frisson involves the release of neurotransmitters and endorphins. These neurochemical changes can contribute to a sense of well-being and pleasure, potentially enhancing the overall meditative experience.
  6. Motivation and Inspiration:
    • Experiencing frisson can be inspirational and motivating. It may encourage individuals to continue their meditation practice, as the positive and emotionally charged experience can serve as a powerful reinforcement.
  7. Mind-Body Connection:
    • Frisson is a manifestation of the mind-body connection, and its occurrence during meditation may indicate a harmonious alignment of mental and physical states. This connection is often a sought-after aspect of mindfulness and meditation practices.
It's important to note that the experience of frisson is subjective, and not everyone may have this response during meditation or other activities. Additionally, the benefits mentioned may vary from person to person. If you find that frisson enhances your meditation experience, you may consider exploring techniques or practices that consistently evoke this response for you.

Oct 17, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks, those are great tips. I am about done re-visiting the 80s music for now, I am interested in instrumental and will deep dive into that soon, I need to explore other genres besides rock, pop, and EDM.

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 8
More from Chat GPT:

Frisson, often referred to as "musical chills" or "aesthetic chills," is a phenomenon characterized by a pleasurable sensation, often accompanied by goosebumps or shivers, in response to emotionally moving stimuli such as music or meditation. While the exact neurobiological mechanisms underlying frisson are not fully understood, dopamine is believed to play a role.
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter associated with reward and pleasure pathways in the brain. It is released in response to rewarding stimuli and is involved in the regulation of mood and emotions. Music, especially when it evokes strong emotions, has been shown to activate the brain's reward system, leading to the release of dopamine.
The experience of frisson may involve a complex interplay of neurotransmitters and neural circuits, including dopamine. When you listen to music or engage in meditation that triggers frisson, it can stimulate the release of dopamine, contributing to the pleasurable and rewarding feelings associated with the experience.
It's important to note that individual responses to stimuli can vary, and the experience of frisson may involve a combination of physiological and psychological factors. While dopamine likely plays a role, it may not be the sole neurotransmitter involved in the phenomenon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back