Lucid Listening?
Feb 6, 2008 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

nin3th

100+ Head-Fier
Last night I had a pretty great experience. I put on shpongle's nothing lasts but nothing is lost, and closed my eyes in bed, with every intention of sleeping...

Half an hour later, I had an incredible sensation of floating, and my eyes were moving so quickly it hurt (rem?), and I saw a bright ring of light, but my eyes were moving so quickly they opened themselves and I woke up.

I've actually experienced this before to another shpongle album, but it appeared to me as if I was floating above where I should be.

In both instances I could still hear the music very well, but it was much more present in my head than when I am conciously? listening to music, and I still had control over my thoughts.

Does anyone know what really happened?

I was sober!
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 21
Were you on the verge of falling asleep when it happened? I've had that floating experience (not when listening to music though) - but just as I'm about to drop off to sleep. It's really weird. I get a kind of buzzing in my ears just before it happens - and then I feel myself floating upwards out of my body - it's spooky but it only ever happens at the moment I'm about to fall asleep.

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were you on the verge of falling asleep when it happened? I've had that floating experience (not when listening to music though) - but just as I'm about to drop off to sleep. It's really weird. I get a kind of buzzing in my ears just before it happens - and then I feel myself floating upwards out of my body - it's spooky but it only ever happens at the moment I'm about to fall asleep.

Yeah, I was, and I think that feeling is awesome.

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #7 of 21
This is called the 'hypnagogic' mindstate and it's extremely similar to the psychedelic mindstate. Hence, great trippy music such as Shpongle is quite conducive...

If you're really interested, check out Robert Rich's 7-hour DVD 'Somnium'...it was engineered in the studio to replicate his famous Sleep Concerts and is designed to make the listener hover in hypnagogia.
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is called the 'hypnagogic' mindstate and it's extremely similar to the psychedelic mindstate. Hence, great trippy music such as Shpongle is quite conducive...

If you're really interested, check out Robert Rich's 7-hour DVD 'Somnium'...it was engineered in the studio to replicate his famous Sleep Concerts and is designed to make the listener hover in hypnagogia.
wink.gif

Yes, it felt like I was trippin', yet only for 15-20 seconds. I enjoyed it.

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 21
Hey guys,

Great experiences. I've had similar things, though while trying to astral project. Looking into this could clear things up for you...

Here is the basics of it...

The aim of astral projection is to have an obe or outer body experience.

To have one, all we need is concentration at the point of sleep. There are different techniques to do it, but they basically involve getting comfortable, and concentrating on something until you fall asleep. This allows you to consciously fall asleep, rather than getting drawn into it by thoughts or daydreams as is normal. So you're aware of what's actually going on as you fall asleep..

So there's common feelings we can have when going into sleep that we normally aren't aware of. So as you are concentrating on something, you could feel like an electric current through the body, some hear like a motor wurring inside their head (like soozieq's experience), I have felt like I'm really light but also really heavy at the same time. After this, or even without these sensations, we can then find ourselves floating above the body or just find ourself in our room. You have then astral projected.

So you're physical body has fallen asleep. Where you are, often called the astral plane, is also where our dreams occur. We can lose the experience by just losing our awareness and falling into a dream or we can just wake up back in our physical body.

I've had an experience lying on my bed, and felt these sensations, gotten up and flown out through my window, I could even feel the glass as I passed though it, and out to the courtyard outside. It's not something that feels like a dream but is very, very clear, like real life.

Check out some techniques if you want, they are truly awesome experiences, and show that there's more to life then just our physical existence.

A site with good techniques and a forum to chat about it and other people's experiences is here...Astralweb: Free courses with techniques for Astral Projection, Astral Travel, Out of Body Experiences, OBE, Lucid Dreams, Near Death Experiences, Dream Meanings, Dream Symbols and more.

hope this helps you,

Feb 9, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ymv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had an experience lying on my bed, and felt these sensations, gotten up and flown out through my window, I could even feel the glass as I passed though it, and out to the courtyard outside. It's not something that feels like a dream but is very, very clear, like real life.

It's so weird - I once got 'to' the window, but couldn't go through! Normally, I wake up just at the moment I start 'floating away'.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the feeling? And, in the few seconds I'm floating - I'm actually consciously wondering what'll happen if my floating body flies off to another country - and can't find its way back. I mean, I regularly get lost in my own town centre - and I've lived here for 15 years
confused.gif

That's why I try and force myself to open my eyes, so that I can't fly off!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

What would happen if you couldn't get back in your body?
eek.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 21
Hi Soozieq,

There's no problem with not coming back, we always do. It's the same place as where we dream, it's just most of the time we're in dreams and unaware of what's actually there. We always wake up in the morning. Something called the "silvercord" which connects us to the physical body will always pull us back. The hard part is actually staying there as it's so easy to get drawn back to the body.
smily_headphones1.gif

With going through things, if we have a mental thought saying that we can't go through, we won't be able to. It's the same with flying, if you think you can't do it, Perhaps just try putting your arm through, then the rest of your body.

all the best!

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 21
it was even better last night, my entire body was numb, and couldn't feel anything, but I didn't see any light. what do you think about when you try to fly off? I was listening to younger brother this time at 4:30 am. maybe it has something to do with music created in cooperation with simon posford.

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 21
I've started meditation for the past few months. Restful alertness + Coltrane's Complete 1961 Village Vanguard, or Graveland's Thousand Swords, or Worship's Last Tape Before Doomsday, or any Indian classical music is bliss.

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 21
Wow, I've never felt that way without substances of some form being involved. I'll have to try it one day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back