Lubricating older CD players
Jan 12, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #16 of 19
D-25s and lubricating.

D-25s lid: The open button releases the lid and it pops up about 5 degrees. Looking from the side, the lid should open about 60-70 degrees total - no more. If it will not open at least 60 degrees, something is probably bent and lube won't help. If you deside to anyway, use white-lithium grease sparingly.

Lubrication: The D-25s came from the factory with some white lithium grease on the laser guides and gear - these are the only component that requires lube of any kind. This grease can dry after several years, depending on the environment and use (or lack there of) - often it just needs to be spread out again. This area is easily accessed by removing the bottom plate on the D-25 with a #0 Philip, but should be done carefully and only if you suspect a problem. Unless the grease appears to be dried and cracked, it should not need to be regreased (spreading the existing grease with a tight weeve q-tip will work).

AGAIN: This assembly SHOULD NEVER be treated with a liquid lubracant as it could damage wiring, spread to other areas (dust attraction as already mentioned), and (often) evaporate.

If the lube dried, clean it off with a tight weave q-tip and spread new lube on the shaft with a tight weave q-tip. NOTE: Do Not put on anymore than you take off - excess lube just builds up at the end of the guide shafts range of travel.

White-lithium grease is the only thing I would recommend for use ANYWHERE on a PCDP because a liquid will almost always spread to places you don't want it. A tube is usually less than $7.50 at an electrical supply business.

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #18 of 19
Just to echo Audio Redneck's point.

The D-25/D-25S does NOT need lube on the lid for proper operation. When you press the Open button, the lid pops up about 1 inch. The rest is done manually--you lift the lid the remainder of the way open, if you prefer.

It opens by way of a lever, not a gear, so this is not a lube issue--it is simply the way these old players are. They eschew motorized lids, anti-skip and all manner of other bells and whistles in favor of sound quality.

Jan 12, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by OriginalReaper
Does radio shack sell "reversers"? Perhaps I wont need an ac adapter after all, just a "reverser"

No, but most of the wall-warts they sell have reversable ends that just unplug.

You could make your existing wal-wart reversable by cutting the wires and putting a two conductor plug of somekind at your cut. Its a 5 minute project.

BUT before you do it, use a meter to check the voltage with no load. Some unregulated wallwarts go as high as 12-13 volts before you turn on the device you are trying to power. The D-25s will not work if it is getting much over 10v unless you have a battery install (the battery charger uses enough power to drop the voltage back to an acceptable level.) Without a battery, some d-25s will work with as little as 6v.

Personally, I have a camcorder battery pack that I use that runs it for about a weeks use (20+ CDs). I charge it one night a week and don't worry about plugs the rest of the time. I haven't used my wallwart in 6mo.

(long winded as ever.....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back