LTC1144 Simple Conversion of 15V to -15V Supply
Aug 23, 2002 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

braillediver

Headphoneus Supremus
Cleaning up here at work I found some LTC1144 “Switched-Capacitor Wide Input Range Voltage Converter with Shutdown”. The Data sheet claims “Simple Conversion of 15V to -15V Supply”.

http://www.linear.com/prod/datasheet.html?datasheet=246

Has anyone ever used these? Seems like an easy way to get + and – from a single source?

I’m gonna play with these this weekend.

Aug 23, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 7
I've used a Cosel ZW30515 - similar thing except that this one needs no external caps. 5V in, +- 15V out. Headroom use the same component in a couple of their designs. Keep it as far away from other components as physically possible and make sure everything is grounded/shielded as appropriate, they use an osciallator internally. The ZW30515 comes in a can so it shields itself somewhat.

Aug 24, 2002 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 7
Seems like a bit of a communication problem here...the datasheet for LTC1144 says that it takes 15v (for instance) and converts to
-15 v, not 15 to +-15.

> It performs supply voltage conversion from positive to negative from an input range of 2V to 18V, resulting in complementary output voltages of -2V to -18V<

-jasong

Aug 24, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 7
yeah, and look at that graph at the bottom. The output voltage will be all over the place when using an amplifier, because the current drawn isn't constant. I don't see that as being a good thing. Or maybe I am wrong and just seeing problems where none exist.

Aug 25, 2002 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 7
That's what the power capacitors are for -- to smooth out the current demand on the power supply.

Aug 25, 2002 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 7
Capacitors can smooth out transients but in terms of switchers, inductor-less (capacitor) voltage converters typically have poor load regulation. Load variations over several mA can seriously affect the voltage. The way I see it, all switchers are a headache unless absolutely necessary (weight, size).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back