LP4 and stereo on the same MD..
May 3, 2003 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Vdubjunkie

Head-Fier
Hello all,
I've recently purchased a MZ-N505 which I am extremely pleased with so far. Most of my recording so far has been LP4.
However, for argument sake I decided to record some of my more wide ranged tracks in full stereo as the MG software calls it (if I remember correctly). On the same disc I also added some LP4 tracks so that I could quickly listen to the "difference."
This is all well and good except for the fact that I cannot get the stereo to output to the headphone jack. This is not a simple physical issue as I can simply skip to any track recorded in LP4 and procude sound as normal. Yes, I did also try turning up the volume.
Has anybody experienced this or have any thoughts on why this might be?
I have not yet taken the time to record a disc with only stereo for comparison sake.

very_evil_smiley.gif

May 3, 2003 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Vdubjunkie
I cannot get the stereo to output to the headphone jack.

What do you mean?

You can mix LP4, LP2 and SP (what you referred to as full stereo?) tracks on a MiniDisc. Also, using NetMD, SP tracks only have LP2 quality, i.e. they are not true SP. OpenMG provides this "SP" just so non-MDLP units can play the tracks.

May 3, 2003 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Sugo
What do you mean?

You can mix LP4, LP2 and SP (what you referred to as full stereo?) tracks on a MiniDisc.

Well, at least the software allows you to record both on the same disc. Perhaps that is the problem in itself. As I get the time I will see if recording only SP works better. Then perhaps add some LP4 tracks and see if at that point I lose the ability to have the SP tracks output by the NetMD player. I do also have a much older Sony MD I could use in figuring out all of the limitations.
Quote:

Originally posted by Sugo
Also, using NetMD, SP tracks only have LP2 quality, i.e. they are not true SP. OpenMG provides this "SP" just so non-MDLP units can play the tracks.

Thanks for that info. I was not aware.. So essentially I can get the same quality with half the space using LP2. Very nice!

very_evil_smiley.gif

May 3, 2003 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 6
Still not quite sure what's not working for you... I mix SP and LP2 all the time and all play back properly through the headphone output... I also have an MZ-N505.

It's true, you wouldn't be able to play the LP2 tracks on a player that doesn't have MDLP capability.

As to quality... the built-in hardware/firmware-based codec is the one that gives you ATRAC Type-R SP mode. The LP2 and LP4 modes should be the same whether you use the recorder's codec or the OpenMG one.

May 3, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 6
I'm sorry to say this, but the only way on your MZ-N505 to get NetMD recording at SP/Stereo mode is to use the bug-ridden OpenMG Jukebox software (or SonicStage software in certain markets) to transfer the music. If you're using alternative software for NetMD transfers, such as Simple Burner/Nero or RealONE, then only LP2 and LP4 modes are available (SP will not be available).

I've had bad experiences with the OpenMG Jukebox, as far as NetMD transfers are concerned: Though the program has yet to crash on me, half of my MP3s transferred at LP2 mode came out with no sound at all whatsoever after the ATRAC3 conversion!
mad.gif

May 3, 2003 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 6
For 320kbps mp3, a lot of times I have to convert them to WAV before importing into sonicstage (or they will come out silence). I never had problem with any 192kbps or VBR though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back