LP2 vs. SP (MiniDisc)
Dec 21, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #31 of 32
Quote:

You want quality? Most MD are not pre-recorded and will NOT be the same quality as the source. They will not top your precious CD sources, no matter what you think. And LP2 willl always only have around 70dB in S/N ratio no matter what you slay. Eat that.

This has to be the most inane argument I've ever heard. Of course MDs are not pre-recorded to the quality which I run on my home deck. I have the vinyl LP or the audio CD. Why would I want a crappy virtual MP3 to rely on? The mini-disc simply transcribes these LPs or CDs for me to carry and listen to on the go - without the inferiority of MP3 music.

Again, you're deeply mistaken honeybunch. I never record on inferior LP2: I always record on SP. Compare that to inferior MP3 - that would make a starting point for a valid argument. I'm not interested in the slightest in LP2. I might as well use my iPod and listen to MP3s then. Everyone knows that. 'Duh!

No harm done anyway.

biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #32 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To answer your question, there are better solutions now available... although these are for pro and semipro users. Things like the M-Audio Microtrack II and the Edirol R-08HR are the more popular and well known among the large numbers of flash recorders out there which actually does a better job than MD, at prices which aren't relatively speaking very different to the top-of-the-line MD's.

And if you want to record what's on the computer, well this may come as a surprise but there are programs, which run on your computer, which allow you to do this. It's amazing I know, but it is actually possible. Imagine that, running a program on your computer...

I'm sure there are better solutions - are any of your proposals accessible and affordable for music intended to be portable?

My top of the line MD player cost £220+ back in 2001; it's served 9 years almost, at a cost of less than £37/year and hasn't faded or died yet. Can you say the same for your flash drives?

I've had 8 computer hard drives; 5 of which have failed since that time. They cost as much as my mini-disc player too.

Mini-disc is a fantastically cheap (and even cheaper) option for quality audio playback music. It might not be the latest nor best, but it is better than the quality of a new iPod. Isn't that funny how the best of older technology can still have a (small) place today...

Anyhoooo...be interested in any links to those Microtrack things you've mentioned. They sound interesting, especially if they are portable and the quality is better than MP3...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back