LP Cabinet - What to Do
Jul 23, 2005 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Audio Addict

Headphoneus Supremus
My Gothic LP Cabinet arrived this week. I had them stain it in special walnut but when it arrived the smell from stain was terrible. It has been sitting the garage since and it still smells too much to bring in to my listening room. Add to it the birch finish didn't take the stain very well and I don't know what to do with it. I am thinking about trying to sand it and just paint it.

If you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 11
yikes!

I'm sure the smell will go away in time, but I'm sorry to hear they did a poor job of finishing it. I got an unfinished cabinet from them which I sanded, stained, steel wooled, stained and finally poly-ed and it looks pretty good. Maybe continue the process? Sand and restain again yourself?

I suspect paint would cheapen their apperance.

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 11
To add insult I waited 8 weeks for it. They had some supposively shipping problem and the cabinet even sat for 4 weeks waiting to be packaged and shipped and the smell was still there. The communication during this delay was basically non-existant. I'd call and they would indicate it would be shipping later in the week. I went through that story 3 weeks before it finally shipped.

JMT had good luck with the unfinished version as well. Lesson of the story, don't let them finish it.

Jul 24, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 11
Special care must be used when staining birch, which tends to blotch easily. It takes some research and a bit of experience to get it right. Water-based dye stains, gel stains, alcohol dye stains, or a prepping agent for oil-based stains are generally required. You can probably correct the problem, but it is going to be challenging.

A little Internet research will tell you what you need to know, but here are a couple quick links:

http://www.askthebuilder.com/497_Con...Staining.shtml
http://research.the-bac.edu/color/wood/

From the last link above:
How To Prevent Blotching
Some woods, such as walnut or oak, tend to color evenly. Others, such as cherry, maple, birch, or pine, are harder to manage. The reason why some woods color unevenly (known as blotching) and others don’t is widely debated. Some say that the culprit is swirled grain, while others attribute it to resin pockets that occur during kiln-drying. However, as far as the coloring of wood is concerned, all of the possible reasons for blotching are irrelevant. This must always be dealt with regardless of its cause.

Certain products on the market, or methods used while staining, can alleviate this condition (but most have limitations):

* If an oil-based color or varnish is being used, a stain controlling solution may prove to be useful. This solution will absorb into the blotchier areas of wooden surfaces, but is not compatible with other stains: water-based, alcohol, or lacquer.
* The consistency of the stain being used also impacts the outcome. Gel stains do not easily penetrate the wood, hence the color looks better than on a stain-controlled surface. Although both water and solvent-based gels are available, they also do not entirely guarantee blotch-free staining.
* A lesser known process known as glue-sizing is sometimes advocated to control stain penetration. Glue thinned to liquid at room temperature is absorbed and dried into the wood before sanding. The resulting layer of glue and wood acts as a partial sealer to prevent blotching.

When dealing with the surfaces that tend to absorb color unevenly, the following key points must be kept in mind:

1. Control the depth of penetration as much as possible.
2. Remember to keep the color close to the surface.

Jul 24, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #5 of 11
Care must be taken when staining birch, which tends to blotch easily. It takes some research and a bit of experience to get it right. Water-based dye stains, gel stains, alcohol dye stains, or a prepping agent for oil-based stains are generally required. You can probably correct the problem, but it is going to be challenging.

A little Internet research will tell you what you need to know, but here are a couple quick links:

http://www.askthebuilder.com/497_Con...Staining.shtml
http://research.the-bac.edu/color/wood/

From the last link above:
How To Prevent Blotching
Some woods, such as walnut or oak, tend to color evenly. Others, such as cherry, maple, birch, or pine, are harder to manage. The reason why some woods color unevenly (known as blotching) and others don’t is widely debated. Some say that the culprit is swirled grain, while others attribute it to resin pockets that occur during kiln-drying. However, as far as the coloring of wood is concerned, all of the possible reasons for blotching are irrelevant. This must always be dealt with regardless of its cause.

Certain products on the market, or methods used while staining, can alleviate this condition (but most have limitations):

* If an oil-based color or varnish is being used, a stain controlling solution may prove to be useful. This solution will absorb into the blotchier areas of wooden surfaces, but is not compatible with other stains: water-based, alcohol, or lacquer.
* The consistency of the stain being used also impacts the outcome. Gel stains do not easily penetrate the wood, hence the color looks better than on a stain-controlled surface. Although both water and solvent-based gels are available, they also do not entirely guarantee blotch-free staining.
* A lesser known process known as glue-sizing is sometimes advocated to control stain penetration. Glue thinned to liquid at room temperature is absorbed and dried into the wood before sanding. The resulting layer of glue and wood acts as a partial sealer to prevent blotching.

When dealing with the surfaces that tend to absorb color unevenly, the following key points must be kept in mind:

1. Control the depth of penetration as much as possible.
2. Remember to keep the color close to the surface.

__________________________________________________ ___

P.S. At this point, I would probably seriously consider painting and applying several (5 to 8) coats of finish to create a high-gloss lacquer look. I personally never stain birch, maple, or pine for the above reason. Some people do it and it looks fine, but I think it's more trouble than it's worth. See my sig for woodworking samples from my own shop.

Jul 24, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
__________________________________________________ ___

P.S. At this point, I would probably seriously consider painting and applying several (5 to 8) coats of finish to create a high-gloss lacquer look. I personally never stain birch, maple, or pine for the above reason. Some people do it and it looks fine, but I think it's more trouble than it's worth. See my sig for woodworking samples from my own shop.

Thanks for the insight. My wife tells me to just get rid of the cabinet as she has no confidence I can fix the problem. The local PBS radio station has its annual music sale in the next month and she suggest I give it to them. Maybe a better tax write off than anything else at this time.

Jul 25, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 11
Sorry to hear it turned out like it did. Woodworking has a learning curve and staining mistakes are pretty close to the beginning of that curve, so the guys who made your cabinet are probably pretty inexperienced.

Best of luck,

-coma

Jul 25, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 11
Have you contacted Gothic to see if they would refinish it? Or, better yet, see if they will replace the cabinet with one that is finished properly. I would take some pictures of the areas that are the worst and offer to e-mail them (after you speak to them on the phone). I know that shipping will be expensive, but perhaps that is something that can be negotiated with them as well. Out of the four cabinets that I ordered from them, I had one that was damaged during shipping (a small crack in the wood in the back, on the bottom). When I called them, they were very nice and cooperative and offered to remedy the situation. But, since the crack was so small (about 6 inches) and not visible when placed amongst my other cabinets, I decided to fix it myself.

Jul 25, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #9 of 11
Right--you shouldn't have to take the loss. Consider asking them for a properly finished replacement cabinet. To save on shipping, and since the original cabinet is probably not acceptable to anyone's standards, you might tell them you will be happy to send photo evidence that you have destroyed the original one, or a donation receipt when you give it to charity. Perhaps you can split shipping on the new one.

Not knowing how to finish woodwork when you are in the cabinet business is really inexcusable.

-coma

Jul 26, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 11
I appreciate the insight but my experience with Gothic's customer service has not been very good. I did send them an email last week but they have never responded, which has been par for their service. It's not worth shipping back as it was $40 shipping it to me. To repack and try to send it is not worth the time or trouble. I may have expected too much as I assumed it would be almost a furniture grade finish rather than something I might have done in college.

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 11
I need some additional storage for LPs and came accross Tony's Woodworking Shop on AudioGon.  I purchased 4 of his Cherry Cubes and the top and bottom units.  They were delivered today.  Definitely came out very nice.    http://www.tonyswoodshop.com/

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0205.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back