Loxjie P20 Discussion- Starved for information on this thing!
Mar 10, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #572 of 803
Awesome! Please post your thoughts after you spend some time with it.
I get my MJ2 back tomorrow from him lol.
:beerchug:
Will do.

I only have this SMSL SP200 amp, its nice but the neutral sound gets kind of dull after a while.

Miss the P20 and I'm dieing to try these Russian tubes.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #574 of 803
I don't believe there are any capacitors between the op-amps and the output jacks.
I expect there are DC blocking capacitors at the input jacks.
And there are probably capacitors in series with (and isolating) the audio signals in the high-voltage tube section.

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #575 of 803
I don't believe there are any capacitors between the op-amps and the output jacks.
I expect there are DC blocking capacitors at the input jacks.
And there are probably capacitors in series with (and isolating) the audio signals in the high-voltage tube section.
Glad to have such a technical mind with strong electronics knowledge in this thread but I wish I could understand the things you say.

Mar 12, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #576 of 803
Got my amp back from Keith today.

Its a significant improvement. The SMSL SP200 is my standard for comparison since I've had it for quite a long time. I only have the two amps and I always would analyze back and forth with the SMSL SP200 and without a doubt especially the higher frequencies, SP200 was always more capable with clarity, detail, resolution, punch. The P20 is a hybrid amp so I wouldn't expect it to match a solid state THX amp in those aspects but its definitely getting closer with the upgraded caps. Its improved the most in the higher frequencies, thats where I felt the stock P20 fell behind the SP200, its now narrowed that gap a good bit. Also, its seems warmer and tubier now.

Man the way the female vocals ooze :)

Need more time to determine differences in detail for sure but I know I like it better, its definitely more enjoyable to listen to than my SP200.

Now I gotta try these Russian tubes :)

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #578 of 803
Wow im late to the party on this amp. Just ordered one and got drop 6xx on the way. To many tube options, never did any tube rolling but i very much want to try. Dont want to spend alot maybe $25 to get new tubes any suggestions ?

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #579 of 803
Apr 1, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #580 of 803
So these arrive today from Romania :)

Califmike33 another ebay option for you https://www.ebay.com/itm/6N3P-TUBE-...768720?hash=item48ebec2b90:g:MxkAAOSwXmFeybcQ

Yes, they took a good 3-4 weeks to arrive, but having a tested matched pair for that price seems very reasonable. You're still in a bit of a lottery if you just date or batch match tubes.

Sound wise - obviously these two are just getting comfortable and I'll know for sure when they are fully settled in - the upgrade is similar on just the unbalanced output as the comparison to the balanced output with the stock tubes. Getting a fuller, rounder sound altogether with the impression that everything just has a little more weight behind it. Not necessarilly a warmer or more 'tube' like sound, just more heft. Today I'm listening with DT990 pro250 ohm but later I will try my HD660S on the balanced output.
010421.jpg

Apr 1, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #581 of 803
Recently received some of the GE 5670w tubes from ebay. I think I prefer these over the Russian tubes.

If anyone is interested it looks like the US government recently released some NOS and there are quite a few sellers on ebay selling a pair for under $20.

Apr 1, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #583 of 803
Apr 2, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #585 of 803
I cannot seem to be able to connect any power adaptor to the P20 other than that it came with. I have several power adapters around with the same plug size but they just refuse to enter, as if they were too large. On the other hand, the loxjie's just plugs to any other socket.
Someone else had this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back