Lowest class LP cleaner ever!
May 11, 2006 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Publius

500+ Head-Fier
Simple Solution Pet Stain & Odor Cleaner.

Yes, this is doggy doo cleaner.

Note the ingredients:
  1. "Purified" water
  2. Detergent
  3. Enzymes/bacteria
  4. Minor fragrance
  5. Isopropyl alcohol

So, if you let the fragrance and the questionable water quality slide, this has all three ingredients used in the manufacture of vinyl record cleaners. And, at the very least, it's safe for floor vinyl, so it's probably going to be at least fairly safe for LPs too. (And it also has a few other household uses.)

I actually gave this a whirl over the weekend on a few LPs, notably a RCA Red Seal pressing of Handel's Messiah. I used my KAB EV-1 for vacuuming and RO/DI water from WFM for rinsing, and separate brushes for the cleaner and the rinsing water. What I found was that the fragrance was extremely hard to remove, of course, but I think that's actually a blessing in disguise. After I applied the cleaner and vacuumed it off, I did one obligatory rinse, and the fragrance was still strong. It took two more rinses to get it all off. Assuming a similar amount of detergent/enzymes are also on the record, the fragrance is a pretty solid heuristic for knowing when to stop rinsing.

The results are at least no worse than any other cleaner I've tried. The record was not played before and was questionably maintained. Background noise is dominated by recording noise (lots of tape noise!) with a small amount of crackle - subjectively, no worse than any other cleaned used record I've listened to.

The stuff sells for $14 to the gallon. It dilutes 4:1.

May 13, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 3
White vinegar and distilled water is cheaper per gallon, and it doesn't leave a residue. A couple of drops of your doo doo fluid is probably enough for a whole gallon of record cleaner. You don't want a lot of detergent... just enough to act as a surfectant.

See ya
Steve

May 13, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 3
hey bigshot what ratio do you mix it to? I'm about to look for a new method to clean mine. I've previously used pure isopropyl. Worked beautifully, but can't find any locally anymore. I tried going down a step which is Isocol (70% isopropyl and my guess the rest is antiseptic etc) even after rinsing in filtered tap water I don't think it's doing the record any good.

So mix a certain ammount of vinega with distilled water, clean away, and then rinse under filtered water (distilled water to expensive to rinse in)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back