Lowering the noise floor?
Jun 26, 2007 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mogul

100+ Head-Fier
The level of background "hiss", placed almost behind the music, is really starting to get to me. Judging from the equipment in my sig, can anybody take a stab at what the culprit might be?

I find it is quite noticeable as soon as I turn the volume knob past 1/4 on the Gilmore Lite.

Thanks!

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 9
I just got home from work and double-checked: everything is silent when the amp is powered on and no music is playing.

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 9
Hi Mogul,

Set your volume control to where you hear the hiss.

Switch off your source. If the hiss disappears it was the source.

If the hiss is still there, then it is the pre-amplifier stage of your amplifier.

Cheers ....... Graham.

Jun 27, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 9
Well, I think that's what I just tried. I only get the hiss when music is playing... my Gilmore is silent no matter how far I turn the knob.

My next question is, how do I know if it is the source, or something in the amp that only occurs when it is getting something from the CD player?

Jun 27, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #9 of 9
On more modern recordings it can be the microphones / pre-amps and general room ambiance.
If there is absolute silence then this suggests it was recorded in a studio with close mics. ie. at least one mic per performer often with the performers in separate booths.
A little hiss suggests either a more basic set up or an older recording either way a little more realistic.
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back