lower volume?
Sep 4, 2008 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xxbaker

100+ Head-Fier
I have a zero dac/headphone amp, and the amp doesn't get quiet enough for me haha. it seems like the top of the amplification is ridiculously high and the lower level is about medium volume for me. i've never been above about 1/4 amplification for even the quietest tracks i have.

anyway the point is this: is there some way to lower the volume across the entire spectrum? i don't have a problem doing simple soldering. would adding resistors to the lines that lead to the headphone jack reduce the volume? would this negatively affect the sound? any input would be good, thanks.

Sep 4, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 4
You'd be better off adding resistors to your source's outputs (the amps inputs)

They make cheap, effective, RCA in-line attenuators over at Partsexpress.com which would work.

I used -10dB attenuators on my CD deck since the input of one of my vintage amps was being overloaded by the CD's 2 volt output. Good luck, man!

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 4
Your only choices are to use a headphone attenuator or mod the DAC to add resistors between the DAC and headphone amp stages. Obviously, the attenuator is a much easier solution. Here's an article that includes information about building an adapter Meier Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back