Lower or Higher Volume Listening?
Feb 28, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #16 of 50
im listening to my music with small headphones at around -30db volume level on foobar...what is that approximately in real life db?..some reference is that if i go to -60..thats the last i can hear any music..any lower and i cant hear anything. and im not using an amp.

P.S i have perfect hearing..thats to say its not damaged.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #17 of 50
let me be your best friend for a moment..... as an engineer i can not stress enough not too listen loud! with headphones, damage to your ears will occur long before you even know what happened.

the argument here should not be about what you hear at a given spl, but if you wish to be hearing in the future.

sorry to be a killjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

music_man

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #18 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isn't that a bit backwards?
tongue.gif

I listen to hp's at a pretty low level, and have no problem with detail resolution, I simply can't stand high volume listening for extended periods

although, I can't say what "a pretty low level" equates to in SPL, although I've no doubt its far below 80-85 dB

I know... but speakers annoy so many other people I just can't turn them up loud.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know... but speakers annoy so many other people I just can't turn them up loud.

i hate it when that happens..some people just dont appreciate any music.
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

oh, entirely understand (been there, done that)

@ the "what is this in real world", quite hard to tell, its -30 dB from line in software, but who knows what that equates to in terms of your specific equipment

you can do the SPL meter thing, or just pick a low volume that doesn't give you a headache/ringing in your ears

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, entirely understand (been there, done that)

@ the "what is this in real world", quite hard to tell, its -30 dB from line in software, but who knows what that equates to in terms of your specific equipment

you can do the SPL meter thing, or just pick a low volume that doesn't give you a headache/ringing in your ears

yeah..i get scared when im in quiet places...i fear the ringing may come back..

these are the specs of the phones im using

• Driver : 40mm
• Frequency Range : 100 – 18;000 Hz
• Impedance : 32 Ohms
• Max Input Power : 400 mW
• Cord Length : 3m
• Cord Type : OFC (Oxygen Free Copper)
• Plug type : 3.5mm gold plated
• Accessory : 6.3mm stereo gold plated adaptorstereo gold plated adaptor.

if that helps?

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #24 of 50
Low volume here.
No ear fatigue and lots of details.

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Low volume on those K-1000s?!

Sure!
Volume step 2 or 3 on the Signature 30.2, out of 24 total steps.

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure!
Volume step 2 or 3 on the Signature 30.2, out of 24 total steps.

whoa thats low

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #28 of 50
i think for me on low volumes details are just not there thats why i turn it up, and i suppose i dont like how high volume will do to my hearing.

If the satifying details are there, im happy.

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #29 of 50
define loud? I always try to keep below 85 db if possible but I ain´t to freaked out if I sometimes in loud passages happen to pass the 90. I make sure not to listen at above 85 db for longer periods of time though... Not knowing how accurate my SPL is of course... But I do find I do get all the details at such volumes. Though higher volumes is really nice at times but it fatigues your ear and may just want to to bump up the volume even more after a while... Nice for short listening but it´s not more enjoyable in the long run for me.

obobskivich do get a SPL and check... You may be surprised that you may actually be over 100 db... I can listen to that without thinking it´s crazy loud. Every head fier should own one
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #30 of 50
yeah i personally have no idea how to measure the db of the headphones.

when music is loud it somehow made my uncomfortable, but depends on the type of music, loud metal music can be very annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back