Low volume on Total Bithead
Jan 21, 2007 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

shoenberg3

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
My bithead works mostly fine with my iaudio X5. However, when plugged into the computer, I have to max out the volume both on the computer and the Bithead to get a decent volume. If i just plug the headphones directly to the computer, the volume is much much louder. What could be the problem?

Thanks

Jan 21, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoenberg3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
My bithead works mostly fine with my iaudio X5. However, when plugged into the computer, I have to max out the volume both on the computer and the Bithead to get a decent volume. If i just plug the headphones directly to the computer, the volume is much much louder. What could be the problem?

Thanks

You've got some volume setting wrong on the computer. If you are running windows, in the volume mixer, you have to make sure that "USB Audio Device" is the device that you are adjusting the volume for. I believe you can change it in the File menu in the Volume mixer. By default, it is at 50% which will make the Bithead virtually silent. Post back if that is not the fix.

Thanks

Jan 21, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoenberg3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THanks for the help.

It seemed to have helped, although I feel the volume is still a bit lower than it should be.

I assume that you have already made sure you are on the "High Gain" setting? The switch is under the rubber lid.

Jan 21, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 11
The setting is shown in the manual, which I don't have handy.

Play it, with the switch on one setting.

Turn it off.

Flip the switch.

Turn it on.

If it gets louder, it is now on high.

If it gets softer, it is now on low.

Should it get softer, that would mean you were on the high setting, and in order to get back to the high setting you have to....

Turn it off.

Flip the switch.

Turn it on.

You are now back on the high setting.

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that a two position switch needed documenting.

Jan 21, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsqueak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that a two position switch needed documenting.

red vs blue, anyone?

Jan 28, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #8 of 11
I have avoided using the high gain setting with my TBH on the assumption that it produced inferior sound. I have not done a careful listening test to this. Does anyone know the answer?

Jan 28, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikesul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have avoided using the high gain setting with my TBH on the assumption that it produced inferior sound. I have not done a careful listening test to this. Does anyone know the answer?

Why would it produce an inferior sound? Mine sounds just fine on the high gain setting.

Jan 28, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 11
Every single volume slider on your computer should most definitely be maxed out, when you plug in the Bithead into USB - otherwise you're attenuating the computer's output, which is already relatively weak. Do that and volume should be fine then.

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would it produce an inferior sound? Mine sounds just fine on the high gain setting.

I guess because the manual said to leave it at low gain unless you had to raise it. So I assumed that meant the low setting would produce better results in most circumstances. i will try it for awhile in the high setting.
thanks for your response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back