Low volume listeners?
Jul 17, 2009 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

mochimon

100+ Head-Fier
who here listens to their phone's at low volumes?

im sitting on my couch with a nice breeze coming through the window listening at a very low level. its quite relaxing!

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 28
I'm definitely a high-volume listener. I have my fiio permanently set on max, and my clip is usually around 90-95% maxed at least. I also max my hotaudio amp, and set PC music player between about 65-95% depending on song, whether I need to concentrate on something for a minute, etc. 65% with maxed amp is "low volume listening" for me.

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 28
thats my typical mode of operation too. But i just got an Apogee Duet in the mail and when I first plugged it in it was set at a lower level for some reason and I just sort of left it like that while I checked my email and stuff. The sq was surprisingly good (as many say about the duet). i feel as though i've found a whole new way to listen to music.

oh and as a note, the music i was listening to was deidedly mellow stuff. *listening to some black metal now at high volume
L3000.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm definitely a high-volume listener. I have my fiio permanently set on max, and my clip is usually around 90-95% maxed at least. I also max my hotaudio amp, and set PC music player between about 65-95% depending on song, whether I need to concentrate on something for a minute, etc. 65% with maxed amp is "low volume listening" for me.

Well, seems you wrote in the wrong thread
rolleyes.gif

Anyways I am a low-volume listener. I start with the volume at one point, and the more I get into the music the louder it seems to get, so I keep lowering it, almost till I reach the lowest volume.

It is nice to see how some headphones don't need a lot of volume to show a good bass response or detail
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, seems you wrote in the wrong thread
rolleyes.gif

true -sorry, just making conversation. :-o

Quote:

Originally Posted by mochimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats my typical mode of operation too. But i just got an Apogee Duet in the mail and when I first plugged it in it was set at a lower level for some reason and I just sort of left it like that while I checked my email and stuff. The sq was surprisingly good (as many say about the duet). i feel as though i've found a whole new way to listen to music.

oh and as a note, the music i was listening to was deidedly mellow stuff. *listening to some black metal now at high volume
L3000.gif

How low was it compared to usual? Below half of where you usually listen?

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 28
I don't exactly crank the volume way up. Windows volume stays around 70%, but my amp doesn't go past 3 for music listening or 5 for movies. If I want huge volume, I'll use my loudspeakers instead.

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 28
Im a low volume listener (usually) I used to listen pretty loud, but i experienced ringing ears/tinitus i changed my mind and turned the volume down a hell of alot down. In foobar its -32DB, i can hear myself typing on my keyboard very easy.

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 28
I usually listen at pretty low volumes, almost always less than 80 dB. I find that phones usually have a sweet spot right in that area where everything comes together and the drivers start driving, but it isn't too loud.

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 28
I listen at as low a volume as I can and still get into the music. If it is too loud it gets distracting. I like to be "taken away" by what I listen to I often find myself lying down with my eyes closed so I can concentrate on just the sound.
Then again nothing beats crankin' it up on a good set of speakers!

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #13 of 28
I like low volume listening also.

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 28
I listen to my music at low volumes. On the Phoenix I tend to listen at step 25 of 99. If I go above that it's because the recording is lower than normal. Some listen to music much, much louder than this, and I pity them in a few years when the hearing loss rears its ugly head.

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #15 of 28
I have a hard time imagining listening as loud as some of you are talking about listening at. My "loud" is quieter than many of your "quiet" volumes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back