Low profile portable amps?
Apr 17, 2012 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Gofre

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

So yeah, I'm looking for a decent portable amp for use with the Hisoundaudio Studio V and Minerva Mi-3 custom IEMs. I'm aware that the Studio-V has a perfectly good internal amp, but from what I can tell it sounds very analytical and flat, as are the Mi-3s. While this is perfectly fine for most of my listening, I also listen to a lot of electronic music and metal which can really benefit from the introduction of more authoritative bass which the S-V cannot really deliver, so an external amp seems the way to go.

So yeah, I'm looking for an amp which can bring warmth to the sound signature, preferably with dedicated bass controls. However the S-V is already quite a chunky player, at almost an inch thick/deep. I'm trying to keep this rig pocketable, so ideally I'd like something that sits around 1cm tall without being too large in the other dimensions. I'm looking to spend around £200/$300, obviously preferably from a UK/EU retailer to avoid getting kicked by shipping times/costs. The best fit I've found so far is the Headstage Arrow, but all suggestions are welcome. I've also heard conflicting reports about the bass on the iBasso T3, so clarification would be appreciated.

tldr; I'm looking for a good quality amp that can in particular improve the lower frequencies in an otherwise flat system, preferably small, preferably sub-$300.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 3
So, you want an amp. Great idea! but maybe try considering flashing the Rocoo P firmware to your Studio V. I am pretty sure they are cross-compatible (PLEASE CHECK BEFORE TRYING). That may help with the signature change you want, without the purchase of an amp. 

If that's not an option, or doesnt do enough to change the sound for you, They are a few different amps out there, especially in your price range. May I suggest taking a look over this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-7-1-amps-compared Also, ClieOS is planning on having ready a shootout of multiple sub $200 amps in the next month or two. 
Quote:
Hi all,

So yeah, I'm looking for a decent portable amp for use with the Hisoundaudio Studio V and Minerva Mi-3 custom IEMs. I'm aware that the Studio-V has a perfectly good internal amp, but from what I can tell it sounds very analytical and flat, as are the Mi-3s. While this is perfectly fine for most of my listening, I also listen to a lot of electronic music and metal which can really benefit from the introduction of more authoritative bass which the S-V cannot really deliver, so an external amp seems the way to go.

So yeah, I'm looking for an amp which can bring warmth to the sound signature, preferably with dedicated bass controls. However the S-V is already quite a chunky player, at almost an inch thick/deep. I'm trying to keep this rig pocketable, so ideally I'd like something that sits around 1cm tall without being too large in the other dimensions. I'm looking to spend around £200/$300, obviously preferably from a UK/EU retailer to avoid getting kicked by shipping times/costs. The best fit I've found so far is the Headstage Arrow, but all suggestions are welcome. I've also heard conflicting reports about the bass on the iBasso T3, so clarification would be appreciated.

tldr; I'm looking for a good quality amp that can in particular improve the lower frequencies in an otherwise flat system, preferably small, preferably sub-$300.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

I own and love my ZO2. Highly advisable. I even have a few friends that never turn the bass boost up past yellow (fairly low bass boost, hardly much at all) and just use the volume feature. They love it, even though they most definitely are not bassheads. And also, even when their is not bass boost applied, the SS sounds more open and the instruments more clear, but thats coming from someone that doesn't have a studio V, so I haven't had the same type of performance from a stock player as you have. 
Quote:
digiZoid ZO² (I don't own one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back