Low profile IEMs for under helmet use
Feb 14, 2020 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DeeCee

New Head-Fier
Hi

Looking for IEMs to use under my motorcycle helmet and while cycling, would prefer under 150 eur, could go a bit higher, but also considering airpods pro that are more expensive(reasons below*), could extend same for something else thats great.

Will use daily, gym, motorcycling, cycling, where low profile would reduce wind noise, that is horribad on my bose soundsports. At work/home i use beyer 990 and 770, so not too scared of highs, like a bit V, i listen mostly to metal.

So requirements are:

Low profile - to use under helmet.
Rain/sweat resistant
Stays in ears even on mtb trails
Long battery life, or a fast charge(like AirPods)
Wireless, dont have to be true wireless.
Some isolation for wind noise on motorcycle, ANC a +

* - AirPods pro seem great because they kind of do it all and i have iphone

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 10
You can look at the Powerbeats Pro; they go around the ear and do not stick out.

They are great sounding too and very convenient. Definitely won't fall off.

They are more appropriate for your usage application.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 10
You can look at the Powerbeats Pro; they go around the ear and do not stick out.

They are great sounding too and very convenient. Definitely won't fall off.

They are more appropriate for your usage application.
They look large-ish im afraid about what would happen if i crash wearing them under helmet, also could produce wind noise while cycling

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 10
If money is not an issue RHA CL2 have very good noise isolation and I have never had issues with them falling out. With the right eartips such as the Comply ones that are provided with the earbuds i've been able to fall asleep with them in, I am a side sleeper, and they haven't hurt my ears. They include wired and wireless options, the wireless is not true wireless and is instead one of those neckbands like LG. They have universal connections and can be used with other brands as well, though i have not tried.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 10
If wired either Westone or Shure... or any other 'bean' style IEM like Brainwavz.

If TWS there are lots of options. I'd say Tronsmart Spunky Beats or Fiil T1X may be good. I haven't heard the T1X myself tho. Mavin Air-XR would probably be good too, good isolation and bass is somewhat elevated (good for out and about use).

For bicycle or running use I'd recommend something non-isolating like the Sabbat X12 Pro.

Lots of info to be found here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/going-fully-wireless-iems-too-soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 10
I don't have a suggestion for you but be careful. I ride with a cardo freecom 4+ so I can still hear around me. Just a thought.... I know many ride with iems.

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 10
I don't have a suggestion for you but be careful. I ride with a cardo freecom 4+ so I can still hear around me. Just a thought.... I know many ride with iems.
It is recommended to use some sound isolation, at least for longer rides, wind noise can cause permanent hearing damage, many use earplugs, iems woul add a bit of music

i want something that lets me hear important noises, horns, etc. but drown out wind and such, a bit afraid shures might have too good isolation seems to be around same that is for foam earplugs

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 10
Westone AM Pro's.

Similar to having a musicians earplug that lowers volume but lets all frequencies through more evenly/naturally and also an IEM.

Nothing else on the market that I am aware of like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back