Low profile IEMs for under a winter hat??
Dec 4, 2008 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

tpc41

500+ Head-Fier
I do quite a bit of walking to class and it is starting to become winter hat season. Right now i have super fi 3s and they just protrude way to far out of my ears to be worn under a hat. Does anyone have and recommendation for under $100? I used to have er6i and even those didn't work great. I think they have to be flat similar to a custom iem to work underneath a hat.

I was considering the Klipsch Custom-1 or maybe the Westone UM1. Are there any cheaper options out there? How low do these iems sit in the ear?

Thanks

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
both of the ones u mentioned are good and you may want to give the new apple cans a try but no one seems to have reviewed em yet

I read a review said that the apple iem is not so good, better than those stock ibud, but still not as good as a 80$ iem should be
smily_headphones1.gif

you may want to have a look at Mylarone Crossroad X3i/LBi, these are incredibly small, almost lost in your ear
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by quanganh101090 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there're 2 already, gizmodo and engadget

by the way, the mylarone iem is 60$, shipped from jaben
wink.gif

engadget seems to love them and the gizmodo was comparing them to high priced shure ( I will use msrp) I wanna see head-fiers reviews in particular

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 14
The ER 6i is about the lowest profile you get without going to the Q-jays. Get some small biflange tips and they sit in so far they look like a cable coming out of your ear when viewed from any angle other than the side looking straight into the canal.

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 14
I think the microphonics are pretty bad since the bottom of the hat will rub against the cord. Maybe get some earbuds? The hat will keep them in a little bit and give them a bit of a push to give a little bit more of a seal.

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #13 of 14
I have considered yuin buds, but i use the headphones for other purposes too where isolation is a must. The klipsch custom 1 is less than $70 shipped from amazon, so i might just jump on that. Has anyone actually tried and of these klipsch IEMs on under a hat? They look pretty lo-pro but the stems do look pretty long...

Dec 5, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #14 of 14
I've laid on my side with my X10 on and there's a very, very slight pressure increase, but I have no trouble sleeping with them on. I don't regularly sleep with headphones on, but I was curious if I could with the X10, and it worked like a charm.

I imagine a hat is easier to work with than trying to sleep. Like others said, microphonics would be the biggest issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back