Low-Price Audiophile Headphones
May 23, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #48 of 62
Quote:
I'll risk adding my opinion, which is as newbie as it gets. I'm using the Monoprice 8323 and to me they sound great.

That they do, a great headphone for sure!

May 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #55 of 62
Quote:
Just want to say, boy, I'm glad I didn't hit upon this thread before buying my monoprices. I would have been completely paralyzed with the choices.

But that's all part of the fun!
Now you need to get the JVC HA-S500's they are on ear, $40 out of Japan and are better than the 8323's. That is if you like on ear, they make a great portable that you can take outside unlike the 8323's, which if you have a large head the headband sits very squarely. The wife snickers every time I put them on.
biggrin.gif

Here is the Glossary for all those terms you asked about.
http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

beerchug.gif

May 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #56 of 62
Quote:
But that's all part of the fun!
Now you need to get the JVC HA-S500's they are on ear, $40 out of Japan and are better than the 8323's. That is if you like on ear, they make a great portable that you can take outside unlike the 8323's, which if you have a large head the headband sits very squarely. The wife snickers every time I put them on.
biggrin.gif

Here is the Glossary for all those terms you asked about.
http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

beerchug.gif

Just do what he said and pat yourself on the back afterwards.

May 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #58 of 62
All right, I just got my KRK KNS-6400s today, and am listening to them as I write this review.

So I got them about 30 minutes ago and immediately plugged them in and had a listen (they had some nice isolation, which I immediately noticed). My first impression was...meh. They didn't sound great, kind of tinny. Then I started listening to Beethoven's 9th (the last movement) and then my jaw hit the floor.

These headphones captured details in the recording that I had never heard before, and everything sounded so crisp and clean. I also feel like the sound quality has improved in only the time I've been listening, but that's probably a placebo. Still, the reviews say that these need extensive burn-in, so I'll be posting a longer post about how they sound after about 100 hours.

May 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #59 of 62
Quote:
All right, I just got my KRK KNS-6400s today, and am listening to them as I write this review.

So I got them about 30 minutes ago and immediately plugged them in and had a listen (they had some nice isolation, which I immediately noticed). My first impression was...meh. They didn't sound great, kind of tinny. Then I started listening to Beethoven's 9th (the last movement) and then my jaw hit the floor.

These headphones captured details in the recording that I had never heard before, and everything sounded so crisp and clean. I also feel like the sound quality has improved in only the time I've been listening, but that's probably a placebo. Still, the reviews say that these need extensive burn-in, so I'll be posting a longer post about how they sound after about 100 hours.

Interesting. I agree that it can take some time before you can properly 'review' a headphone. I love the sound quality of all of my open koss headphones. Having said that, important differences can show up depending on... whether they're amped, on the player used, and of course, the quality of the recordings themselves. The volume you're listening at can also make a difference in your evaluation. 

Thanks for the follow up and it will be interesting to read your thoughts after several days of burn in.

May 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #60 of 62
All right, I've had these for about a week now, and I am LOVING them. They sound so much clearer than anything I've tried before, and all my music sounds really crisp. I find that I have to turn the volume up to drive these things, but when they're cranked up they sound amazing. They don't have much bass, as many pointed out, but overall they are balanced across the spectrum, something I can appreciate. They deliver a very natural-sounding reproduction of my music.

Overall, a great headphone that I would definitely buy again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back