Low Output Impedance Source
Jun 15, 2018 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PointyFox

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got some Campfire Andromedas and they sound amazing out of my 0.1 Ohm OI iBasso DX90, but when I plug them into my computer, they sound like crinkling tinsel. I don't experience this with my other IEMs. I think that the OI might be causing it. Does anyone know what desktop sources or soundcards are available with very low OI?

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 6
Ack, thought I could use my DX90 as a DAC, but there is about 3 seconds of delay and it's unusable for anything other than just music.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 6
I just got some Campfire Andromedas and they sound amazing out of my 0.1 Ohm OI iBasso DX90, but when I plug them into my computer, they sound like crinkling tinsel. I don't experience this with my other IEMs. I think that the OI might be causing it. Does anyone know what desktop sources or soundcards are available with very low OI?

Ack, thought I could use my DX90 as a DAC, but there is about 3 seconds of delay and it's unusable for anything other than just music.

Sound Blaster X AE-5.

Practically any DAC-HPamp or HPamp (plus a DAC if you want to use one with it) will have very low output impedance nowadays (save for OTL amps and a few oddballs, like Beyer amps), but if you have that latency issue I'd sort it out first or at least mostly stay away from external devices, especially those that use USB.

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 6
Sound Blaster X AE-5.

Practically any DAC-HPamp or HPamp (plus a DAC if you want to use one with it) will have very low output impedance nowadays (save for OTL amps and a few oddballs, like Beyer amps), but if you have that latency issue I'd sort it out first or at least mostly stay away from external devices, especially those that use USB.

Thanks. I've liked Sound Blaster cards in the past, but I am a little wary of one that incorporates an LED strip. Would this add any noise?

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks. I've liked Sound Blaster cards in the past, but I am a little wary of one that incorporates an LED strip. Would this add any noise?

Hard to tell considering there isn't a wide ranging test that will isolate noise from any and all cases to pin it down to the LEDs, and there are way too many inside each computer that can cause it.

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #6 of 6
there shouldn't be any led noise, and any noise observed will be the computer's ground noise especially with unbalanced connections. On the emu cards that soundbaster made (which at times, I wish they came back) have acceptable connections (trs balanced) that I lift the sleeve to break the ground connection of the computer. I've set this card up several times in different setups, and it repeatedly gave me a -110 db noise floor.

The op just needs a good headphone amp at the computer. computer headphone jack outputs are designed for 1K ohm and greater impedance loads. so anything less than 1Kohm of impedance will work against the output coupling capacitor causing low frequency attenuation (drop in response because the high pass point was shifted from the designed 10-18 hz to a higher hz (like around 80hz in your case))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back