Low ohms vs hi ohms headphone. What's the verdit ??
Jul 26, 2005 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cowby

Head-Fier
Hi all,

right now I am still using low ohms headphone for my daily music listening, Grado 225 and BD DT860 (bought recently) respectively. I want to know if I buy another pair of headphone with higher ohms such as HD 600 / 650 or even DT990/880. What is the benefit ? Will I get more dynamic or better soundstage than those lower ohms headphone suppose I have a powerful headamp.

any input will be appreciated.

Cowby

Jul 26, 2005 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 3
I don't think it's the headphones impedance that makes the headphones dynamics and soundstage better. I'm pretty shure there are low impedance phones with good soundstage (sony SA5000?) and great dynamics (Grado RS-1).

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 3
IMHO, given that you have a "powerful" (enough) amplification, the difference between low and high impedence headphones is mainly the sound balance. Low impedence headphones tend to be more bassier on high impedance output than high impedence headphones.

However, if you have a "simple" amplification, low impedance headphones should be more "easier" to drive in dynamics. But it is not always true. It depends mainly from (?!? ah... damn my english, what's the word for depends?!? is this correct?) the sensitivity of the headphones (mV requested to produce a given dB output). My DT880 is very easy to be dinamically driven.

bye
Andrea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back