Low medium or high gain?
Apr 13, 2024 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Euph4life

New Head-Fier
I’ve spent a couple of days searching for an answer but the more I read the more confused I get.
My amp has 3 gain settings, low med and high.
If I use my max listening volume as an example, I’m on 80% volume on low, 65% on medium, and 50% volume on high.
This is the MAX volume I’ll ever use, sometimes I listen at lower volumes.
Some people say use the lowest you can, some people say give your headphones the most power you can, some say just use what sounds best, but I’m not experienced enough to know which sounds best.
The amp website suggests using low for IEMs and med or high for headphones , I just don’t know what to do for the best.
Hoping to learn from this, cheers guys
Headphones are clear mg pro, amp is Roksan Attessa streaming amp.

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 6
Many people go on about sound changes between gain levels. I have never legitimately heard this and I suspect that changes are, for the most part, due to lack of proper volume matching when changing gain settings.

Mismatched volume can dramatically affect the perception of sound. Within normal comfortable limits louder generally sounds better. It certainly does to me and I believe that is the way the human auditory system works.

I had a few messages some time back with a guy that designed amps. In response to some comments in a thread here about gain versus sound changes he told me that wasn’t actually a thing and any perception of change was due to volume changes even if we think we have matched the volumes at different settings.

I typically use the lowest gain setting consistent without having to wind the volume up really high for normal listening levels. In your case I would be using low gain if your absolute maximum listening volume occurs at 80%.

The noise floor of the amplifier might also be a factor if using sensitive IEM in that low gain is going to reduce any audible hiss due to the amplifier noise floor.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 6
Many people go on about sound changes between gain levels. I have never legitimately heard this and I suspect that changes are, for the most part, due to lack of proper volume matching when changing gain settings.

Mismatched volume can dramatically affect the perception of sound. Within normal comfortable limits louder generally sounds better. It certainly does to me and I believe that is the way the human auditory system works.

I had a few messages some time back with a guy that designed amps. In response to some comments in a thread here about gain versus sound changes he told me that wasn’t actually a thing and any perception of change was due to volume changes even if we think we have matched the volumes at different settings.

I typically use the lowest gain setting consistent without having to wind the volume up really high for normal listening levels. In your case I would be using low gain if your absolute maximum listening volume occurs at 80%.

The noise floor of the amplifier might also be a factor if using sensitive IEM in that low gain is going to reduce any audible hiss due to the amplifier noise floor.
Thanks for this , it is really useful advice! I have been using medium gain on about 50% volume most of the time , but now I’ve read this I’ll prob change to low gain at a higher volume , I was just worried I might be under powering the headphones as I’ve read that just because the volume is high enough doesn’t always mean they are getting enough voltage?

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 6
Just an additional comment, I’d love to know if anyone else has used the attessa with headphones and how they think it performs compared to other things out there? I’ve nothing to compare it with, but I’m VERY happy with the sound quality it’s giving me, it’s perfectly quiet like dead silence, very very clear and dynamic , it just makes me smile! Well worth considering as an all in one amp dac and streamer that can also drive my floorstanding speakers well too!

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 6
better amps have impedance low or high. so depends on hp, a high impedance hp may need high impediance and low gain. this in turn is effected by ones line level out. high pushes the soundstage close saturated, or lower, pushed back. but i digress

Users who are viewing this thread

Back