Low level hiss in X-Can v3?
Apr 2, 2007 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Michgelsen

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a question. Can anybody tell me whether they have ever heard a really quiet hiss in an X-Can v3, or maybe know what could cause this? I can cleary hear it with my HD25-1 when I concentrate, but with my HD650 I'm not really sure whether I hear it because it's really there, or because I'm expecting it to be there. I also have an AKG K240DF here from a friend with which I cannot hear it all, but that one has 600 ohms with low sensitivity.

The funny part is: the level off hiss doesn't change when you turn the volume knob: it's a fixed level, even when the knob is at minus infinity dB or at 0 dB. It's also not really disturbing because all music will cover it up.
Still, I'm curious! When I went back to the dealer with my amp a few days after I bought it, they could also hear it. I don't think I have a faulty unit though, since another X-Can v3 they had there revealed it as well. The guy said it could be due to the tubes. Can this be?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 2, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 8
I heard a very slight hissing too with my amp. Very hardly noticeable with low sensitivity cans like the 650 or 701 but very easy to hear with something like a grado or AT. It has to do with the type of valves you use. With my new ones the hissing with AT and Grado is under the level of the hissing with the Senns before the tubeswap and not audible with Senn and AKG.

Apr 2, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 8
I can't say that I've ever heard any hiss from my X-Can v3 with high or low impedance headphones. Are those original tubes in yours? Maybe one's causing the noise....

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question. Can anybody tell me whether they have ever heard a really quiet hiss in an X-Can v3, or maybe know what could cause this? I can cleary hear it with my HD25-1 when I concentrate, but with my HD650 I'm not really sure whether I hear it because it's really there, or because I'm expecting it to be there. I also have an AKG K240DF here from a friend with which I cannot hear it all, but that one has 600 ohms with low sensitivity.

The funny part is: the level off hiss doesn't change when you turn the volume knob: it's a fixed level, even when the knob is at minus infinity dB or at 0 dB. It's also not really disturbing because all music will cover it up.
Still, I'm curious! When I went back to the dealer with my amp a few days after I bought it, they could also hear it. I don't think I have a faulty unit though, since another X-Can v3 they had there revealed it as well. The guy said it could be due to the tubes. Can this be?

Thanks in advance.

Get PinkFloyd to mod it! Mine is modded and is dead silent. Russian 6n1p tubes may also help as they are dead silent. Can be had off Ebay for cheap.

Mikes the man(althoe he is a Scot
icon10.gif
)

http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/xcanpropage.htm

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm with jmmtn4aj here.

I experienced something similar when I had my cordless phone (not cell phone) to close to my X-Can. I would try to move the X-Can and listen if the noise changes. With the cordless phone out of the way my X-Can v3 is dead-quiet.

Apr 2, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the replies all!

The tubes are still original and there's nothing close that can cause interference. I have also moved the thing to various places in the house a few times and that didn't have any effect... I don't live under power lines btw
tongue.gif

I'm not really ready for modding the thing, because it's not certain how long it will still be here. Thus, maybe a pair of those Russian tubes would we an idea.

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies all!

The tubes are still original and there's nothing close that can cause interference. I have also moved the thing to various places in the house a few times and that didn't have any effect... I don't live under power lines btw
tongue.gif

I'm not really ready for modding the thing, because it's not certain how long it will still be here. Thus, maybe a pair of those Russian tubes would we an idea.

I do not hear any with any of my full size cans (Grado to DT990). Tomorrow I will use IEM's to see if I can hear anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back