Low Impedance... what is the advantage?
Jul 30, 2009 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

neeravagl

New Head-Fier
I have read many threads on this forum pertaining to impedance. but i dont understand one thing.

there are some famous brands like grado and denon that have quite expensive low impedance headphones.

what is the advantage of having low impedance on headphones.

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 6
certainly for battery power, you only get ~ 1 Vrms from an iPod which regulates the 3.6 V LiIon single cell V down to 3.0 V ~= the pk-pk value

likewize 2 cells of ZnC are 3.0 V to start - most rechargables are only 1.2 V/cell

with low source V the load impedance has to be low to draw high enough current to add up to some usable power ~ 30 mWrms for 32 Ohms with a 1 Vrms source

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 6
Jul 30, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 6
THe advantage is being easy to drive from portable sources, or without an amp. There are a few exceptions to the rule, but they tend to be expensive full size phones as well, so don't immediately fit in the portable / entry level category.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 6
@Drubbing
some of the well known headphones among audiophiles like Grado and Denon are low impedance. And from what i have read, they require an amp to bring them to their full potential.

I just bought a pair a Denon A HD 2000 and without an amp they dont sound that impressive.

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by neeravagl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Drubbing
some of the well known headphones among audiophiles like Grado and Denon are low impedance. And from what i have read, they require an amp to bring them to their full potential.

I just bought a pair a Denon A HD 2000 and without an amp they dont sound that impressive.

I know. All the Grado's are 32ohm. They all improve with an amp, but none actually require one to sound very good. Although if you bought any of the RS range, you'd want to add one to get full VFM.

And the major benefit with these over high impedance phones, is they are easy to drive - they don't require a high end, powerful amp to deliver their full capability. An amp to match them for best sound? that's another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back